Re: "Aging" altered books

  • proff246810
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
      You will probably want to start by gluing 2 to 3 pages together using a glue stick. This will create a stronger substrate. To "age" the pages, you can use the walnut ink, the lemon juice and heat method, and stamping inks in sepia tones. Pages will curl and wrinkle a bit depending on the method you use, but that makes them special. The stamping ink will not do this. Use a sweeping motion with the stamp pads and blend several colors.

      You can also gesso your pages and paint a vintage color over top, but that will also obscure the printed material, so not sure if you are planning on incorporating the text into your theme.

      Using a BBQ lighter, you can create burned edges, but be ready with water if it gets out of hand.

      Any time you do not want the page you are working on to affect the next pages, place a sheet of wax paper in between the pages.

      You can also create tip ins which is creating the work outside the book and attaching it into the book. Measure the size you would need and deduct about an inch or two. Slice the book pages to the inch or two size. Create the vintage pages outside the book and then attach them to the cut pages with eyelets or any other sturdy method.

      I have done quite a few altered books and I truly enjoy it! I know your students will too! If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a PM.

      Visual Arts, 1-8