November 10 photo project - A Day in the Life of Students

  • cbaer8
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
      Hi everyone -

      I'm helping coordinate an international K-12 student photography project, and I need your help to spread the word.

      On Tuesday November 10, students from around the world will document their (probably ordinary) day with photography, videos, and writing. We have commitments from schools in at least 24 countries to participate - from Argentina to Yemen - and a lot more are becoming interested.

      Students will document everything from morning chores to mealtimes to getting to school to family life, in the style of those "A Day in the Life of [America/Australia/Russia/etc.]" and "24/7" coffee table books that have become popular since the late 1980s, only this will essentially be "A Day in the Life of Students"!

      The photos and writing will be posted on a forum hosted by the international nonprofit iEARN ( iearn.org ) for discussion by students. iEARN does require a membership to register, but membership is free in most countries other than the United States (we pay - alas!)

      If you know any K12 teachers who dabble in documentary photography - especially those working outside the USA, please let them know about it.

      We've started a (very basic and incomplete, but growing) website at http://www.onedayinthelife.org on which we hope to publish some of the results after the end of November.

      It should be a lot of fun - and a very interesting cross-cultural study. Please spread the word!

      Best-
      Chris

      Chris Baer
      Art, Design & Technology teacher
      Martha's Vineyard Regional High School
      Oak Bluffs, MA
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2009
        Thank-you for posting this project here. I posted to my other homeschooling boards and well as making it a bonus project for my private art classes. I love hearing about art contests, and I always appreciate when you guys post them. My kids are definitely doing this one.
        Regards,
        Brandy

        > Hi everyone -
        >
        > I'm helping coordinate an international K-12 student photography project, and I need your help to spread the word.
      • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2009
          I was sort of upset that it costs $100 per teacher or $400 per school to do this project.
          It is a great idea, but that is alot of money.
          Why is it so much for the US? Aren't we in a recession?
          MaryJo

          --
          MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

        • cbaer8
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 24, 2009
            Hi again -

            I'm not sure why it costs so much for US teachers to join iEARN, a nonprofit. I think we probably underwrite the participants in poorer countries to a large degree. If I think about it that way, it's worth it in order for me to be able to participate in collaborative projects with teachers in Bangladesh, Kenya, Liberia, Yemen, etc. (One of the teachers I am working with in Bangladesh has an average class size of 80!)

            I have no idea, but you could ask iEARN about trial memberships, scholarships for low-income areas, etc. Maybe they have some special deals?? I don't know. I do know I had my own budget slashed 20% this month in a surprise announcement, but I wound up paying the iEARN membership out of it anyway because it's worth it to me. There's something like 200 projects active in all disciplines - not just this project. (On the other hand, I admit I stopped paying my $70 annual NAEA membership a few years back - a great organization, but I wasn't really getting my money's worth. Maybe my own fault.)

            All the best-