Re: [art_education] middle school class offerings

  • Monica Gabehart
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9 1:16 PM
      Re: [art_education] middle school class offerings Sculptamold can be fun, it is more wet than sticky, it has plaster in it.  I have made 3- dimensional objects like snowmen, and multi-media projects on canvas board like low relief coral reef creatures.
      Monica

      On 9/9/09 1:04 PM, "Amy Moreno" <Dearlake@...> wrote:

       Monica,

      Now I'm off to research everything you mentioned. I enjoyed making paper..and there are ways to just make it with two pie tins and mesh in between if someone doesn't want to make a frame with wood. I made some pieces with a heart shape cut out of two pie tins, mesh in between and the results were amazing...considering the basic set-up. It's a great idea for small classes.

      Is sculptamold fun? I am off to google it now. Thanks for sharing this.

      Amy

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 12 11:18 AM
        Hi all,
        I would also be interested in how other middle schools set up their art curriculums. I am back to middle school after teaching 1-5 for quite a while and brand new to public school middle school-I was teaching in private school the last time I had 7th and 8th graders. My middle school has exploratories so the kids only get 16-18 classes before they rotate to the next subject. They get 2 art exploratory, I am teaching 3-D art studio and my colleague is teaching 2-D.
        I am thrilled because I am also in charge of setting up a new clay studio for all three grades! That is all approved and this week I order all the supplies, but the hold up will be getting the electrical set up and venting, too complicated to go into here.
        Hopefully by Thanksgiving it will all be in place!
        What kind of 3-D projects or clay projects work well with your middleschoolers?
        I plan to do Egyptian face masks with 6th, gargoyles with 7th (both tie into their social studies curriculum) and papier mache or plaster gauze monster constructions with 8th, but 8th grade does colonial times and in the past the only thing the prior art teacher did was fractur folk art and the kids hated it from what I was told. Any good ideas for 3-D for that? Once I get the kiln I had planned to do some scraffito work like the PA Dutch tulip ware plates on slab with them as one project to tie in with that curriculum, but am sort of stuck for anything else. I do have a fiber art wrapping project that could tie in with basket making, only deconstructed sort of...I think the lesson is still on IAD somewhere called 'Lines In Space' we could do. Just got those supplies in Friday.
        Thanks for any suggestions!
      • Jennifer Rose
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 12 3:27 PM
          Cathy good luck, that all sounds so exciting. There's always the classic pinch bowl, I am curious too see what everyone thinks about that. Do you think it would be appropriate for middle school? We do not have a clay studio at our school, but I own a kiln and I figured pinch bowls would be easy to transport back and forth. Your projects all sound stimulating, the scraffitto should be a blast.

          Thank You,
          Jennifer Rose-Segrest

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12 5:29 PM
            Nesting bowls:
            I've done pinch pots as an introduction-to-clay (or refresher) project with my 6th graders.  The size is very small; they make four or more that have to fit stacked and "nested" together.  It's a good lesson for learning to control shape and size, as well as to get the feel of the clay.  Nested together after glaze and firing, they look beautiful.

            Sarah

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13 6:47 AM
              Face pots come from many different cultures. The Native Americans, who were around when the colonialist decided to plot down and take root, had several kinds of face pots in different cultures. African, who were brought over as slaves, also made face pots. So it's a long and varied tradition. Not to mention really great looking when they are done.
              If you really want to stick to purely American colonial concepts, you might also consider handled mugs and drinking steins. Candle stick holders allow them to combine several kinds of clay techniques- such as slab (base) , pinch pot (candle holding part) and pulling (for the handle of the candle holder). Scoring and slipping are also prominent to make the candle holder stick together. This is a small project and they might be able to make 1 or 2 sets. USe red clay for authenticity.
              Regards,
              Brandy (who lives a stone's throw from Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown :)

              > What kind of 3-D projects or clay projects work well with your middleschoolers?
              > I plan to do Egyptian face masks with 6th, gargoyles with 7th (both tie into their social studies curriculum) and papier mache or plaster gauze monster constructions with 8th, but 8th grade does colonial times and in the past the only thing the prior art teacher did was fractur folk art and the kids hated it from what I was told. Any good ideas for 3-D for that?
            • Marcy McGahan
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 15 7:06 PM
                You might try making weather vanes.

                Marcy

                >>> "bergiemoore" 09/13/09 8:48 AM >>>

                Face pots come from many different cultures. The Native Americans, who were around when the colonialist decided to plot down and take root, had several kinds of face pots in different cultures. African, who were brought over as slaves, also made face pots. So it's a long and varied tradition. Not to mention really great looking when they are done.
                If you really want to stick to purely American colonial concepts, you might also consider handled mugs and drinking steins. Candle stick holders allow them to combine several kinds of clay techniques- such as slab (base) , pinch pot (candle holding part) and pulling (for the handle of the candle holder). Scoring and slipping are also prominent to make the candle holder stick together. This is a small project and they might be able to make 1 or 2 sets. USe red clay for authenticity.
                Regards,
                Brandy (who lives a stone's throw from Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown :)

                > What kind of 3-D projects or clay projects work well with your middleschoolers?
                > I plan to do Egyptian face masks with 6th, gargoyles with 7th (both tie into their social studies curriculum) and papier mache or plaster gauze monster constructions with 8th, but 8th grade does colonial times and in the past the only thing the prior art teacher did was fractur folk art and the kids hated it from what I was told. Any good ideas for 3-D for that?

              • Suzette Milam-Morrow
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18 6:09 PM

                  I have posted a few videos that I have recently made on art techniques. They work with any grade level. I plan to get them up on teachertube soon as well, but for those of you that can access youtube you are welcome to take a look. It’s free.

                  The latest is a collage technique in the style of Romare Bearden. A representational subject matter, rather than an abstract design on random stuff glue fest. All the supplies are recycled since most of the classes I teach are without a budget.

                  Please leave me a comment if you have time, so that I can improve.

                  Thanks-

                  Suzette Morrow

                  http://suzet.typepad.com/suzets-studio-blog/

                  Youtube Channel: Suzet’sStudio (in one word)

                • MJ Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 18 6:21 PM
                    Suzette,

                    That is terrific... I love your studio and your work...  I will use this idea...
                    Thanks.

                    Jennifer

                    "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                    Frank Lloyd Wright