Re: reconstitute clay

  • K Olson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
      I thoroughly wet an old bath towel with water, wrap the block of clay in the towel inside the plastic bag and seal it back up. Add a little more water over the next few days and the block of block of clay will be back to normal.
      Kathy in CA
    • Dan Triplett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
        I just read this after my post.   This may even be a bit easier than my the method I use.  Same idea:  keep the block of clay wet and it will soak up that water.  Seal it in the plastic bag so the moisture can't escape.  Much cheaper than buying Sterilite containers too.

        I thoroughly wet an old bath towel with water, wrap the block of clay in the towel inside the plastic bag and seal it back up. Add a little more water over the next few days and the block of block of clay will be back to normal.
        Kathy in CA

      • artistws
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2009
          I inherited the same problem several years ago, whole bags of red earth clay hard as stone! I got several five gallon buckets from the janitors placed the whole chunk of clay in the bucket poured water in to cover the block some didn't have lids so I covered with saran wrap for several days just long enough for it to get soft to the touch the npoured the water off. Be careful because the block will be a slippery as an eel. I then let the caly sit for a day so the outside was not so slimmy then cut with my wire tool. I throw all the hard balls or hard slabs into a bucket of water for slip/slurry too.