Re: [art_education] Re: cd prints [2 Attachments

  • bruthrobson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2009
      That is so cool!
      Brenda

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jennifer Blair <mother_red_cap@...>
      To: Sue Stevens <suestevens@...>; art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, Sep 4, 2009 11:23 pm
      Subject: [art_education] Re: cd prints [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Jennifer Blair included below]

      Hi Sue,

       I have found that the film on some cds scrapes off easier than others. I generally scratch the cd with something metal like a paint scraper or metal brush and then just start trying to peel it away. Putting it under running water helps and makes a real mess of the sink. I prepare them for the students before we start. I just keep my eyes out for old cds and sometimes I find those blank ones with no film on them.

      We use scribes and roulettes  to create the drypoint etchings

      I generally use rives bfk and graphic heavy weight papers

      I generally use water based block printing inks (such as speedball) with kids so the clean up is faster and easier, but use oil based myself (graphic chemical and faust) and with older students if we have the time for clean up. We apply the ink with a card as you would with any othr etching and wipe with tarlatan, q-tips and palms

      Any linear image works well. if the image needs heavier black areas you can work that out with wiping rather than  etching, kind of like monoprint.

      I've attached a couple of images of my work... I'm not sure if the attachments will make it through to the list.

      If you need a source for supplies one of my favorites is graphicchemial. com

      I hope this is helpful.

      Jennifer