Re: [art_education] Re:old CD disks ART

  • Jennifer Blair
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
      Hi everyone.

      I thought I'd pipe in since I create my own prints with cds and have been teaching this technique for several years.

      We scrape of the  film so the cd's are transparent,  this allows students to etch their drawings rather than working directly on the cd. I have found this especially helpful when working with students who are apprehensive with new techniques. It reduces the fear of maing mistakes.

      I run mine through the press, but have also hand pulled. You will only get 10-15 good prints from a cd etching because the plastic is so soft, the quality of the line starts to deteriorate. Cd's are thinner than plexiglass and most metal plates so the press will need adjustment.

      you may want to try chine colle also.

      Take care,

      Jennifer

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
        I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

        ________________________________

        All emails using the North Stonington Public School's email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.
      • Jennifer Blair
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
          If the cds are breaking there may be too much pressure on the press. I have never had one break.

          Jennifer

          I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

          ________________________________

          All emails using the North Stonington Public School's email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.

        • MJ Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 13, 2009
            Thank you... I used this in my classes last week and they loved it!!!

            Jennifer

            "An idea is salvation by imagination."
            Frank Lloyd Wright

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
              Thank you for this! I used it yesterday with the 5th graders who just finished a weather unit. They loved it!
              Alyssa