tunnel books

  • ignuluban
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
      hi! first of all i just wanted to say that i love being a part of this group, you all are very informative and have many wonderful ideas. i've been a member for a while but have just been super busy. i wanted to teach a lesson on tunnel books to my 7th and 8th graders. has anyone ever taught this to their students and do you have any suggestions? also do u know of a bookstore that may sell actual tunnel books, i live in illinois. thanks a bunch, talk to you all soon, nab
    • Monica Gabehart
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
        Re: [art_education] tunnel books I got a gorgeous tunnel book last year - the theme was the rain forest.  I think I ordered it from Crizmac, I looked through the catalog real quick, they have a web site, www.crizmac.com, and they had several different themed books.  I have not searched on Amazon.com but I love their deal on new and used books through other vendors and have had excellent service and good prices that way also.  I am going to try tunnel books with junior high this coming spring.  I am also in Illinois.
        Monica

        On 9/4/09 9:51 AM, "ignuluban" <ignuluban@...> wrote:

        hi! first of all i just wanted to say that i love being a part of this group, you all are very informative and have many wonderful ideas. i've been a member for a while but have just been super busy. i wanted to teach a lesson on tunnel books to my 7th and 8th graders. has anyone ever taught this to their students and do you have any suggestions? also do u know of a bookstore that may sell actual tunnel books, i live in illinois. thanks a bunch, talk to you all soon, nab

      • Teresa Schnell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
          I THINK I know what you are referring to?  I am a teaching major, and 2 semesters ago in course Integrating Art/Music into Education we made several fun items like what I found on the internet searching "tunnel books".   The link below is a step-by-step WITH lesson plan.

          But the ones we made in class result in a sort of star 3D which can be hung up! Step-by-step  you guide students first taking 8 1/2 X 11" white paper and cutting into 2 halves until you have 8 separate pages.  Then you create matching color construction paper frames (pick any color and be creative).

          The instructor then reads a story.  Our instructor read the story of Daedalus & Icarus.   It is a vivid Greek mythological tale and can be found at this link & others.  http://www.island-ikaria.com/culture/myth.asp Here is a short excerpt:

          THE MYTH OF DAEDALUS & ICARUS

          "Daedalus was a highly respected and talented Athenian artisan descendent from the royal family of Cecrops, the mythical first king of Athens. He was known for his skill as an architect, sculpture, and inventor, and he produced many famous works. Despite his self-confidence, Daedalus once committed a crime of envy against Talus, his nephew and apprentice. . . ."

          1st night "-So the first night (or class period) we were to draw 8 pictures based on something unique and significant from that story & using only colored pencils.

          2nd night - The next night we cut out the "frames" (dimensions 4.25" X 5.5") from the same color construction (pick one color) Then cut out the insides creating a 1" border (or frame or mat)  Then Decorate these "frames"  We had some very creative mat makers in our EDU course~!

          Steps 3 & 4 - Now these next steps make the "book" "ornament" or whatever you wish to call it flow together correctly!  Glue the frames onto the drawings.  Next you glue about the 1" edge of each of the back sides of the drawings together in a manner that creates an 8-sided 3D object.

          Wabi-Sabi!
          Teresa Schnell

          "In 1998 Gordon Hempton, a sound recordist attempting to build a library of natural sounds, toured fifteen states west of the Mississippi and found only two areas--in the mountains of Colorado and the Boundary Waters of Minnesota--that were free of motors, aircraft, industrial clamor, or gunfire for more than fifteen minutes during daylight." — Robyn Griggs Lawrence

          hi! first of all i just wanted to say that i love being a part of this group, you all are very informative and have many wonderful ideas. i've been a member for a while but have just been super busy. i wanted to teach a lesson on tunnel books to my 7th and 8th graders. has anyone ever taught this to their students and do you have any suggestions? also do u know of a bookstore that may sell actual tunnel books, i live in illinois. thanks a bunch, talk to you all soon, nab

        • bergiemoore
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
            This is a nice project, and I have done a simple version with my elementary kids when we were learning about Rousseau. I handed out the frames and the folded paper (green), and the kids filled the back sheet with a large garden/forest/jungle and added animals and jungle images to the frames.
            Another artist to consider when doing the Icarus myth is Matisse who made a wonderful cut paper piece called "Icarus". It's very recognizable and my students loved making their own paper myths.
            Reards,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Schnell <scifiterri85021@...> wrote:

            > I THINK I know what you are referring to?  I am a teaching major, and 2 semesters ago in course Integrating Art/Music into Education we made several fun items like what I found on the internet searching "tunnel books".   The link below is a step-by-step WITH lesson plan.
            >
            > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Joanna-Popart.htm%c3%82%c2%a0
            >
            > But the ones we made in class result in a sort of star 3D which can be hung up! Step-by-step  you guide students first taking 8 1/2 X 11" white paper and cutting into 2 halves until you have 8 separate pages.  Then you create matching color construction paper frames (pick any color and be creative).
            >
            > The instructor then reads a story.  Our instructor read the story of Daedalus & Icarus.   It is a vivid Greek mythological tale and can be found at this link & others.  http://www.island-ikaria.com/culture/myth.asp%c3%82%c2%a0Here is a short excerpt:
          • Sarah Palmer
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
              Hello comrades:

              I just found out that I need to attend a professional development workshop on our school's in-service day, October 9th, 2009.  Either I go to the general academic-oriented workshop with my colleagues OR I can find one that is more relevant to me.

              Anyone know of any art educator workshops happening in the Seattle area that day?

              Thanks in advance.  Hope the new school year is treating everyone well.

              Sarah in Seattle
            • arbs7006
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2009
                We are creating tunnel books right now in my HS art class. They should be finished by Monday. I'll take some pictures and post them as soon as I can. Basically what I had them do was pick an artist out of a list of 30 that they found interesting (Just based on their artwork) then had them use three elements from the artists work, a self portrait of the artist(if available) and their own artwork using the artists style. They look pretty neat so far. When we get more into the art history part i plan on havingthem go back to the artist they picked and do a biography on them.

                Amber