reconstitute clay?

  • jeannette_anthos@gwinnett.k12.ga.us
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009

      Hi everyone-
      I have a couple of bags of HARD Lizella red clay Do you guys ever reconstitute clay?
      I have googled it & it seems there are many ways of doing this.
      I have never had to do this before, b/c @ my former schools either (a) i started the clay program so this wasn't an issue, or (b) all the clay I "inherited" was still "soft & moist" (sounds like a cake:-) huh?)
      Anyways-just wondering if it was worth the effort, and what way(s) would you suggest?

      Thanks!
      Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
      Art Educator, Lovin Elementary
      1705 New Hope Road
      Lawrenceville, GA 30045
      Office: (678)518-6940
      Fax: (678) 518-6975
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOTE: Email is provided to employees for the instructional and administrative needs of the district. E-mail correspondence to/from a district e-mail account may be considered public information and subject to release under Georgia laws or pursuant to subpoena.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Monica Gabehart
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
        Re: [art_education] reconstitute clay? Is it bone dry?  I reconstitute dry and overworked clay, put in bag, add water swish, drain, knead, let it set to soak up the moisture, but I haven’t tried to bring bag entire bags of bone dry clay.  Some times I will throw bone dry clay into my slip add more water and turn it into slip, but that is small quantities at a time.
        Monica

[...]

      • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
          I agree with Monica.
          In the past I have wet a bunch of paper towels and put them in the bag with the dry clay - it helps to cut it up too...so the inside can get moisture.
          Are they 25 lb. bags?
          MaryJo

          --
          MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

        • Julie Casebourn
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
            I had a local ceramic artist donate boxes and boxes of rock hard clay to my school.  I placed the dry blocks of clay into an empty 5 gallon bucket and covered the clay with water, just barely covering with water, soak overnight until it becomes clay gravy.  Allow water to evaporate somewhat and the clay will be very slurryish... grab some out of the bucket and place onto a plaster bat.. or a heavy cloth like canvas.  You'll have to turn over every so often so the top doesn't dry out and bottom next to the cloth or plaster still is very wet and sticky.  During the school day loosely cover with plastic bag to prevent overdrying if I can't get to it soon enough to flip over.  Knead when the right consistency and then put in bag.     If your clay isn't totally dry.. you can go to a dollar shop and buy some large cheapo bath towels and wet them down, loosely wring out and wrap semi-dry clay in the wet towel and put in plastic bag overnight.  It will evenly absorb the water from towel and be nice and workable the next day.. unless it's super dry... you'll have to rewet the towel and repeat the next day.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2009
              What worked well for me this year was to have kids hammer the dry clay
              into small pieces.(they love hammering) and then put them in ziplock
              bags. We covered them with water in the bags(just enough to wet it
              all) and let them sit overnight. Then we massaged the clay in the bag.
              As it got wet and goopy, we added more dry clay and kept massaging.
              Ultimately we were able to knead it back into working condition on a
              clay board. The bags got rid of a lot of the mess I've had in the past
              with recycling, and the kids think it's fun.
              On Sep 4, 2009, at 8:18 AM, jeannette_anthos@... wrote:

              > Hi everyone-
              > I have a couple of bags of HARD Lizella red clay Do you guys ever
              > reconstitute clay?
              > I have googled it & it seems there are many ways of doing this.
              > I have never had to do this before, b/c @ my former schools either
              > (a) i started the clay program so this wasn't an issue, or (b) all
              > the clay I "inherited" was still "soft & moist" (sounds like a
              > cake:-) huh?)
              > Anyways-just wondering if it was worth the effort, and what way(s)
              > would you suggest?
              >

              > Thanks!
              > Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
              > Art Educator, Lovin Elementary
              > 1705 New Hope Road
              > Lawrenceville, GA 30045
              > Office: (678)518-6940
              > Fax: (678) 518-6975
              > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ NOTE
              > : Email is provided to employees for the instructional and
              > administrative needs of the district. E-mail correspondence to/from
              > a district e-mail account may be considered public information and
              > subject to release under Georgia laws or pursuant to subpoena.

            • artsypffartsy
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2009
                For a whole bag of bone dried clay, get a hammer and chisel or screwdriver, and wear a respirator or REAL dust mask. You don't want to breath dried clay. If you get silica in your lungs, it causes a disease called silicosis, which is a total heatlh drag. So remember that also when you are sanding the bottom of a piece or scraping off dried clay. Best clean up time for clay is right after you finish working on somehting because the clay will still be leather hard or damp when you clean it up. You should also be a stickler for kids washing their tools at the end of a period. The goal is to eliminate clay dust in your studio.

                Ok, back to reconsituting your clay... Break the clay up into chunks and pieces about 2-4 inches. Soak in water (plastic bucket or trash can) until the pieces are damp or wet all the way through. Use a plaster bat to dry them on enough to wedge. Plaster sucks water out of clay so that you can handle it without it being a slippery mess. Wedge it up, andthere you go! You can only do this with bone dry clay. Clay that is still damp a tiny bit will not suck up the water evenly to the center.
                Linda

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Monica Gabehart <mgabehar@...> wrote:

                > Is it bone dry? I reconstitute dry and overworked clay, put in bag, add
                > water swish, drain, knead, let it set to soak up the moisture, but I haven¹t
                > tried to bring bag entire bags of bone dry clay. Some times I will throw
                > bone dry clay into my slip add more water and turn it into slip, but that is
                > small quantities at a time.
                > Monica
                >

                > On 9/4/09 7:18 AM, "jeannette_anthos@..."
                > <jeannette_anthos@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hi everyone-
                > > I have a couple of bags of HARD Lizella red clay Do you guys ever reconstitute
                > > clay?
                > > I have googled it & it seems there are many ways of doing this.
                > > I have never had to do this before, b/c @ my former schools either (a) i
                > > started the clay program so this wasn't an issue, or (b) all the clay I
                > > "inherited" was still "soft & moist" (sounds like a cake:-) huh?)
                > > Anyways-just wondering if it was worth the effort, and what way(s) would you
                > > suggest?
                > >

                > > Thanks!
                > > Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
                > > Art Educator, Lovin Elementary
                > > 1705 New Hope Road
                > > Lawrenceville, GA 30045
                > > Office: (678)518-6940
                > > Fax: (678) 518-6975
                > > ------------------ NOTE: Email is provided to employees for the instructional
                > > and administrative needs of the district. E-mail correspondence to/from a
                > > district e-mail account may be considered public information and subject to
                > > release under Georgia laws or pursuant to subpoena.

              • Dan Triplett
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2009
                  I've been teaching art for ten years but only in the last 5 have I begun to use clay in my classroom.  The first five years I was on a cart and the Kiln was basically in storage.

                  Consequently there was a lot of clay around here that no one was using and over the years it all dried out.  Teachers had some in their rooms (as they used to do clay projects themselves) but after I got my room, they gave it all to me.  Here's how I reconstitue my clay.  It's easy and works for me every time.

                  I use a Sterilite 12/QT plastic container (161/2'x111/2' x6") and place an old t-shirt (a towel will work) in the bottom (over hanging the edges).  I place the hard clay length wise in the container and then fold the over hanging t-shirt onto the top of the clay (basically wrapping the clay in a cloth or t-shirt-it acts like a wick and distributes the water).  I add about 3 -5 cups of water (pouring over the top of the clay - until there is about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom) and then snap the lid on the container.  I make sure to saturate the entire t-shirt.  I let it set for two weeks adding water each day as needed (toward the end don't over do the adding of water).  The clay comes out near perfect every time.  If too much water is added it will evaporate with the lid off so there is no problem there.   I usually do about 6 at a time (or more) depending on my needs.

                  Dan