old CD disks ART

  • Terri Stokes
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
      One cool thing you can do with old CD's is paint pop art designs on them in acrylics and hang them around the room. Any othere ideas out there for middle / high school projects using CD's for an interesting art assignment?
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009

        You can also use a sharp tool, etch a design on them and use them as printing plates.  I use intaglio ink. I also have the students design half of the plate and pass it on to the next student to design the other half.  We use a marble rolling pin to print on wet paper.

        Kim Gassman

        Art Department

        Wheeler Middle\High School

        kgassman@...

        All emails using the North Stonington Public School’s email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.
      • artlady4allseasons
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
          I love this idea using the CD's and printmaking. What about having them
          design a scene in which the student etches 1/2 of the CD and the next
          student creates the reflection?

          Tina
        • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
            Do you then run the CDs through a press?
            MaryJo

            --
            MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

          • Jennifer Blair
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
              Hi everyone.

              I thought I'd pipe in since I create my own prints with cds and have been teaching this technique for several years.

              We scrape of the  film so the cd's are transparent,  this allows students to etch their drawings rather than working directly on the cd. I have found this especially helpful when working with students who are apprehensive with new techniques. It reduces the fear of maing mistakes.

              I run mine through the press, but have also hand pulled. You will only get 10-15 good prints from a cd etching because the plastic is so soft, the quality of the line starts to deteriorate. Cd's are thinner than plexiglass and most metal plates so the press will need adjustment.

              you may want to try chine colle also.

              Take care,

              Jennifer

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                  If the cds are breaking there may be too much pressure on the press. I have never had one break.

                  Jennifer

                  I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

                  ________________________________

                  All emails using the North Stonington Public School's email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.

                • MJ Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 13, 2009
                    Thank you... I used this in my classes last week and they loved it!!!

                    Jennifer

                    "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
                      Thank you for this! I used it yesterday with the 5th graders who just finished a weather unit. They loved it!
                      Alyssa