papermaking book ?

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hello all,
          I'm looking for a storybook for elementary kids about the history of papermaking.  I don't want a how-to book.. lots of those out there.  I would prefer a story format simply presenting the history of and simple technical information of papermaking.  I've checked Amazon and Crizmac and a few other resources and can't find precisely what I'm looking for.  The closest is
      Papermaking for Kids: Simple Steps to Handcrafted Paper by Beth Wilkinson and Albert Molnar     but it still sounds like a step-by-step how to without the story aspect.  Is anyone familiar with this book or any suggestions on books to look for?  Thanks you wonderful peeps.
      Julie

    • Terri Stokes
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
        One cool thing you can do with old CD's is paint pop art designs on them in acrylics and hang them around the room. Any othere ideas out there for middle / high school projects using CD's for an interesting art assignment?
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009

          You can also use a sharp tool, etch a design on them and use them as printing plates.  I use intaglio ink. I also have the students design half of the plate and pass it on to the next student to design the other half.  We use a marble rolling pin to print on wet paper.

          Kim Gassman

          Art Department

          Wheeler Middle\High School

          kgassman@...

          All emails using the North Stonington Public School’s email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.
        • artlady4allseasons
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
            I love this idea using the CD's and printmaking. What about having them
            design a scene in which the student etches 1/2 of the CD and the next
            student creates the reflection?

            Tina
          • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
              Do you then run the CDs through a press?
              MaryJo

              --
              MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

            • Jennifer Blair
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
                Hi everyone.

                I thought I'd pipe in since I create my own prints with cds and have been teaching this technique for several years.

                We scrape of the  film so the cd's are transparent,  this allows students to etch their drawings rather than working directly on the cd. I have found this especially helpful when working with students who are apprehensive with new techniques. It reduces the fear of maing mistakes.

                I run mine through the press, but have also hand pulled. You will only get 10-15 good prints from a cd etching because the plastic is so soft, the quality of the line starts to deteriorate. Cd's are thinner than plexiglass and most metal plates so the press will need adjustment.

                you may want to try chine colle also.

                Take care,

                Jennifer

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                  I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                    If the cds are breaking there may be too much pressure on the press. I have never had one break.

                    Jennifer

                    I found that the CD's tend to break when we tried running them through the press. I had the kids use a marble rolling pin to print them or they can do it by hand. We also have a small hand press that works well.

                    ________________________________

                    All emails using the North Stonington Public School's email system should conform to BOE Network Policy # 4118.5, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this in error, please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by replying to this email.

                  • MJ Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 13, 2009
                      Thank you... I used this in my classes last week and they loved it!!!

                      Jennifer

                      "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                      Frank Lloyd Wright

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
                        Thank you for this! I used it yesterday with the 5th graders who just finished a weather unit. They loved it!
                        Alyssa