thanks for your cardbpard thoughts...

  • Janice Benkoske
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 27, 2009
      the postings that I read daily are a inspiration to me.  It is wonderful to communicate with all the artist out there in cyperland.  You have triggered some new ideas of what to do with recycled cardboard.  I will post a link to some of my students projects as they're finished.  Thanks again...more ideas are welcomed if anyone has more.

      Jan Benkoske
      Meridian Middle School
      2195 Brandywyn Lane
      Buffalo Grove, Ilinois 60089
      847.955.3500 ext. 3584

      At moments of great enthusiasm it seems to me that no one in the world has ever made something this beautiful and important.
      ::: M.C. Escher :::

      This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
      is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
      recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
      or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
      please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
      whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
      information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
      Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
      such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
      you are receiving the information.

    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 27, 2009
        Actually, your kids are the perfect age to use Xacto knives.
        In small groups or partners only, perhaps.

        MaryAnn
        Kohl

        On Aug 27, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Janice Benkoske wrote:

        Need your help everyone.  My budget has been slashed by 25% and this is forcing me to think "green".  The school district replaced 20 chalkboards with whiteboards over the summer. When I came back to school I snagged the corregated cardboard boxes that the large boards were shipped in.  I now have a "boat load" of cardboard scraps for art projects.  Here's the problem, my students are fifth and sixth graders, so therefore, the idea of using exacto knives is out.  Any ideas of how I can use this material in art classes.  Help!!

        Jan

      • Susan Michael
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 27, 2009
        • artistws
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
            I would cut the carboard into geometric and freeform shapes have students paint with designs and then hot glue together to create Frank Stella style paintings.
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Janice Benkoske" <jbenkoske@...> wrote:

            > Need your help everyone. My budget has been slashed by 25% and this is
            > forcing me to think "green". The school district replaced 20 chalkboards
            > with whiteboards over the summer. When I came back to school I snagged the
            > corregated cardboard boxes that the large boards were shipped in. I now
            > have a "boat load" of cardboard scraps for art projects. Here's the
            > problem, my students are fifth and sixth graders, so therefore, the idea
            > of using exacto knives is out. Any ideas of how I can use this material
            > in art classes. Help!!
            >
            > Jan

            > This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
            > It
            > is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the
            > intended
            > recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
            > distributing
            > or using any of this information. If you received this communication in
            > error,
            > please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
            > entirety,
            > whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
            > personal
            > information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
            > Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
            > redisclose
            > such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for
            > which
            > you are receiving the information.

          • artsypffartsy
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
              I agree with the other people who say that 5th grade is old enough for xacto knives, However, I would have parental supervision in the class for the project. An extra set of eyes never hurts.

              We have those self-healing cutting matts. I have enough for each student to have one now, and they are centuries old...still
              self healing! I have done lots of cardbaord/papier mache projects with kids. THey are on Incredible Art Department with photos. Go to the IAD, and search in Elementary Lessons for "When is a Chair more than a Chair?," "When is a box more than a box," and "retablos" by Linda Woods. My kids LOVED this project and were OFF THE CHARTS creative with it. I had a Mom in the room each day, at least for the beginning part of using knives. While it was cheap to use cardboard (I recycled all of my shipping boxes for supplies), the cost of paint for larger projects is anything but free. We used house paint, and I had a lot of colors donated. I also had the kids cover the cardboard structures that they made with masking tape to prevent warping, sagging, and overall ugly side effects of papier mache.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Janice Benkoske" <jbenkoske@...> wrote:

              > Need your help everyone. My budget has been slashed by 25% and this is
              > forcing me to think "green". The school district replaced 20 chalkboards
              > with whiteboards over the summer. When I came back to school I snagged the
              > corregated cardboard boxes that the large boards were shipped in. I now
              > have a "boat load" of cardboard scraps for art projects. Here's the
              > problem, my students are fifth and sixth graders, so therefore, the idea
              > of using exacto knives is out. Any ideas of how I can use this material
              > in art classes. Help!!
              >
              > Jan

              > This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
              > It
              > is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the
              > intended
              > recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
              > distributing
              > or using any of this information. If you received this communication in
              > error,
              > please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
              > entirety,
              > whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
              > personal
              > information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
              > Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
              > redisclose
              > such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for
              > which
              > you are receiving the information.

            • pent19
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                You could cut them down and fold them for sturdy portflios
                Cut to common size and use surface to create collage
                cut them to size and use as table protectors
                Michele

              • Grace LaForge
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                  Way back when.... I taught elementary art and used large sheets of cardboard for painting large figures.   We left the faces blank and I cut out holes.  I believe we later used them for a school fair and people could have their picture taken.  (They could serve several purposes).

                  I don't remember what theme we used...maybe famous paintings.

                  Grace in NJ
                • bergiemoore
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                    When I give my kids exacto knives, I also give them the "driver before the car" speech. "When you drive a car, where do you want to be? In front of the car, where you will get run over, or behind the car, where you control it?" I illustrate this by putting my free hand before and after the knife. Their faces cringe when I put my hand/finger in front of the knife. Any student I have to remind twice to keep their free hand (the metaphorical driver in this story) behind the car (the knife) has to sit out and draw a car with a hand behind the car or in the car, but not in front of it. They can rejoin the class project if there is enough time after their drawing is done. We have had very few accidents in the many years I have used exacto knives with my students. There are just some projects you can't do without exacto knives, and huge swaths of cardboard simply beg for them.

                    Here's one more idea, that you could use stiff paper or cardboard for- Bali shadow puppets. Create a stage with a large piece of cardboard by cutting out the center, use any teacher's billboard paper to create a screen. Shine a strong light on the background and let them show off the puppets they make out of cardboard by telling a story. Last time, I had my kids illustrate traditional, or familiar, stories- 3 pigs, Cinderella, whatever they wanted- and tell it. The kids can't help but go off script once they have the "stage", and it's pretty funny! I do enforce a strict time limit or some teams could go on forever. In the past, I have also had them research and tell stories from Asia and Indonesia. It brings another element into the art.

                    Regards,
                    Brandy

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                          This is a fun topic.. glad you asked everyone.

                          Last year my 3rd grade used cardboard as printing plates.  We studied Jim Dine, lesson was around February time.  Kids had cardboard plates approx. 10 x 8in. they first cut out the typical paper heart from scrap copy paper by folding.  When the heart was acceptably sized and shaped to their liking (gather scrap paper from teacher workroom.. lots of mistakes in the trash) they traced onto the cardboard and then we added designs.  We reviewed symmetry and asymmetry they had to choose which way to go and draw the designs BIG and keep it simple.  I traced the lines with hot glue.  Next period..each kid pulled 3 prints using washable ink, brayers.. the works...and labeled them.
                           We spent 2 following classes (40 minute class periods) watercoloring them.. then adding small overlapping details with marker or tempra paint.
                              I trimmed the paper down and students mounted on colored paper and gave away for Valentines day.
                          Julie

                        • kermit_al
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                            Hi Jan,

                            I too think that 5th and 6th graders can use xacto knives. I have used
                            them with my 7/8th grade classes, and typically spend a full class
                            period on safety. I've only had one injury, and that was a student
                            trying to work ahead at home (so it was outside of my classroom). I
                            talk to the kids about standing when they are working (they have a
                            better angle to work at, which seems to make it easier on the shorter
                            kids), watching where their fingers are, what direction they are
                            cutting, and acting as if they are "thumbless" (tucking their thumb
                            under their hand when cutting) on the hand holding the cardboard in
                            place.

                            Otherwise, you can create relief sculptures by layering the cardboard on
                            top of each other, using it as a base for collagraphs, pulling one layer
                            of the cardboard off and using the texture of the corrugated part,
                            typography, mats for framing artwork...

                            Good luck!
                            jessica

                            wrote:

                            > Need your help everyone. My budget has been slashed by 25% and this
                            is
                            > forcing me to think "green". The school district replaced 20
                            chalkboards
                            > with whiteboards over the summer. When I came back to school I snagged
                            the
                            > corregated cardboard boxes that the large boards were shipped in. I
                            now
                            > have a "boat load" of cardboard scraps for art projects. Here's the
                            > problem, my students are fifth and sixth graders, so therefore, the
                            idea
                            > of using exacto knives is out. Any ideas of how I can use this
                            material
                            > in art classes. Help!!
                            >
                            > Jan
                          • icreatemore
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 29, 2009
                              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pent19" <pent19@...> wrote:

                              > You could cut them down and fold them for sturdy portflios

                              Cut to common size and use surface to create collage
                              > cut them to size and use as table protectors
                              > Michele

                              I just had to jump in here. I have been trying to come up with a practical idea for a portfolios. Over the years have tried several that just didn't cut. This week I started using some free cardboard that I had gotten...it works better then anything I've seen so far. I cut it so that when it's folded I get two complete portfolios out of one sheet. When that sheet is folded...not an easy task but very doable, we punch holes on the sides, weave yarn through the holes to hold the sides and wallah you have a cool portfolio that will easily take up to a 12 x 18 piece of art. And the best thing for me is they will lay flat in a drawer for safe keeping. It can turn in to at least 3 separate lessons. Damn I just realized it could become their word wall....
                            • arbs7006
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 29, 2009
                                You can also draw on the cardboard with oil pastels and then have them tear off the top layer to expose the corrogation check out the incredible art Deptartment website and do a cearch under lesson plans for cardboard they will give you a ton of ideas!

                                Amber