word wall list

  • jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
      I don't have a list of the words I use on my word wall and of course it's at school. It has been a great tool - when the kids are writing reflections, I see them looking up at the wall for ideas and spelling. I remind them to use art words and they do! Sometimes they even suggest a word if they notice it isn't up there. I used a pad of paper that looked like a crayon box and put one letter on each sheet of paper then laminated them. They are the headings. Then the words are under each heading. I started with the elements and principles, color words, shape words, styles of art, some of the tools, - a good thing to do would be to look in the glossary of one of the art books from the level you teach. I teach 4 year olds up to 6th grade so it's a wide range!
      Jeryl in SC
    • Diane Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
        I have a big wall above my sink that I repaint every year. Then my 8th
        grade studio class creates a mural of elements and principles on the
        wall. They love physically being able to paint on a wall. This is a
        good review for them to remember elements and principles, and is a
        great reminder for my other classes. I can point to the back wall and
        say, which major element is this painting focusing on. Having that
        huge reminder makes it easier for them to have answers in class. The
        visual reminder (they must draw an example beside the word or draw the
        word using that element or principle in the word design) makes it so
        much easier for younger students to understand in an instant what I am
        asking and have a quick answer.
        diane