Re:Art Room Word Wall LIst

  • Gayle Parent
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
      I tend to think the word wall should be developed from your lessons.
      The words should be introduced a few at a time, with the new lesson,
      when they have meaning for the students.
    • pent19
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
        I am doing this in my room this year and would like the list too!
        Michele
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christy" <branhams@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have an art room word wall list that they could email me? I am going to incorporate more writing this year into my lessons/projects and thought this might be a good idea to have. Thanks!
        >
        > Christy
        > Email: branhams@...

      • Christy & Jeff Branham
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2009

        "I tend to think the word wall should be developed from your lessons.
        The words should be introduced a few at a time, with the new lesson,
        when they have meaning for the students."
           -Reply to my word wall post from Gayle Parent

            I am going to put the list I compile up now at the beginning of the year because my district is stressing writing ("making our students authors") this particular school year.  I can always mark/highlight/draw attention to those words on the word wall that are introduced during each lesson.  I have K-5, so many of my older students will have already had most of the words that will appear on the word wall in previous years.  I feel like if I put it up now that they will be more inclined as we start to write to use the words they are familiar with from previous years and lessons.  I think that highlighting (or whatever I do to make the words we are working on for a lesson stand out) will still give the students meaning.  Thanks to everyone for your great ideas and help!!!  I really appreciate having a group of other teachers outside of my district to share ideas with and ask for help!

        Christy

      • pent19
        Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2009
          I have sort of done word walls in the past, but I think we cover so much vocab, terms and techniques in a year that we would just run out of space trying to display them all! (because they could use all the words most of the time). During my clay unit, when all students in the school work on clay, I put clay terms on the wall with a friendly definition (i teach k-6). I sorted the words by creation (slip, score, coil building, slab building, etc),process (symmetry, craftsmanship, smooth vs. rough texture), firing (glaze, underglaze, kiln, bisque, greenware, cone, etc) . SInce it was my first year of teaching at elementary I wanted to test their prior knowledge. I made a worksheet, had them put stars next to words that looked familiar. I had the students complete a worksheet, matching the term to the definition by using the word wall and working with their groups. (this was before christmas break so we couldn't start with the clay anyway).It helped them understand that the wall is to help them use art terms and there for a reference. While working on the project the students would use it, or I would refer to it when they thought they were done (go read about craftsmanship, rough textures, etc)or referring to slip of slit, goop, glue, etc. I am brainstorming some ways to display terms and techniques this year and how to do it for k-6 students. I have some ideas and post them (and pictures) when i do!
          Michele
          NY

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christy & Jeff Branham" <branhams@...> wrote:

          > "I tend to think the word wall should be developed from your lessons.
          > The words should be introduced a few at a time, with the new lesson,
          > when they have meaning for the students." -Reply to my word wall post from Gayle Parent
          >

          > I am going to put the list I compile up now at the beginning of the year because my district is stressing writing ("making our students authors") this particular school year. I can always mark/highlight/draw attention to those words on the word wall that are introduced during each lesson. I have K-5, so many of my older students will have already had most of the words that will appear on the word wall in previous years. I feel like if I put it up now that they will be more inclined as we start to write to use the words they are familiar with from previous years and lessons. I think that highlighting (or whatever I do to make the words we are working on for a lesson stand out) will still give the students meaning. Thanks to everyone for your great ideas and help!!! I really appreciate having a group of other teachers outside of my district to share ideas with and ask for help!
          >
          > Christy

        • Yvette
          Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2009
            Not sure if you are still looking for ideas for your word wall- but you may want to also have a small list/chart of common Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words. We had a running list and added items as they came up with lessons. All grades seemed to grasp the importance of knowing the useful word-building roots and many realized the weapon this could be - not just in art - but for personal growth, other subjects and standardized testing (especially SATs).
            Some starting ones for our art class are: mono, chrom, prim, bi, a, sequ or sec, and tri, It is fun when students realize things like monochromatic defines itself, and if prim means first well primary colors are before "sec" ondary ones...etc.)

            Also, one of my favorite books of all time (for personal and professional use) is Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder (ISBN # 0877799105)! This little treasure of a book can also be found used on Amazon for under a dollar. I have had other books and online lists to refer to, but this paperback one is the best! It has a concise and entertaining way of presenting the most useful word-building roots, methods and fun tidbits of info.

            Some roots can be found here:
            http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/ksd/MA/resources/greek_and_latin_roots/transition.html

            Take care,

            Yvette in VA