favorite lessons?

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 7:21 PM
      I have run out of steam creating next year's syllabus. I got all the way through December. And second semester I usually start again with a different theme, so I'm open to lots of ideas. I teach k-10th grade, btw.

      I've been looking at the Art department, which usually raves me up with ideas, and at Artsonia.com, but I thought I'd ask what lessons have been your favorite over the years.
      Thanks for your help,
      Brandy
    • The Ericksons
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 5:58 AM

        Brandy,

        Feel free to browse my Artsonia gallery:   http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=111669    If this link doesn’t work, you may have to cut and paste it in.  Be sure to look at previous artwork as they already rolled it over to prepare for the new artwork from this year.

        There are 2400 pieces of artwork on there.

        If you see anything you’d like to do email me off line and I’ll zap you the lesson plan.

        Cindy

        I have run out of steam creating next year's syllabus. I got all the way through December. And second semester I usually start again with a different theme, so I'm open to lots of ideas. I teach k-10th grade, btw.

        I've been looking at the Art department, which usually raves me up with ideas, and at Artsonia.com, but I thought I'd ask what lessons have been your favorite over the years.
        Thanks for your help,
        Brandy

      • Ellis Conley
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 4:33 PM
          Dear Brandy:
          My favorite lessons would be anything with printmaking.  I was in another art classroom last week for a summer class, and saw a good idea there for the first week for my high school Art I classes--found object printed folders.  I use cheap two pocket folders in my class room for students to keep their sketches, notes and such, and usually have the kids decorate their folders with collage.  this can be good, but often I spend a lot of time policing their choices--no alcoholic beverages, no inappropriately dressed men or women, etc.  The teacher I visited with solved this problem by having the students print on the folders with a variety of found objects.  They had to have a background of some sort (small print of a plastic needlework canvas, bubblewrap, potato bag) and then a contrasting color for the foreground (all kinds of found objects).  the results were brightly colored, highly textured, individual works that were very recognizable.  I have some alphabet sponges that I will use so the kids can put their initials on in a pattern if they want.
          this looked like a great beginning project to me.
          Have fun!
          Julie in WV
        • keliri@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 9:44 AM
            Hi Brandy,
            Like Cindy, I also have an Artsonia gallery. Click past exhibits. Feel free to peruse, and like Cindy said, if there are any lessons you are interested in, let me know and I will also send you the plan.
            This was my first year with this school... I have 3 years worth of projects with some repeats at my old school here:

            Rita
          • Terri Noell
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3 3:14 PM
              Thanks for sharing! I esp. love the pop-art self-portraits!
              Terri
              prek-5th in Fla.

              To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
              From: keliri@...
              Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:44:51 +0000
              Subject: [art_education] Re: favorite lessons?

              Hi Brandy,
              Like Cindy, I also have an Artsonia gallery. Click past exhibits. Feel free to peruse, and like Cindy said, if there are any lessons you are interested in, let me know and I will also send you the plan.
              http://www.artsonia .com/schools/ school.asp? id=35964
              This was my first year with this school... I have 3 years worth of projects with some repeats at my old school here:
              http://www.artsonia .com/schools/ school.asp? id=46355

              Rita

              Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.
            • Yvette
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12 2:39 PM
                Hi - some of my favorite lessons thus far. 1. Middle School art criticism with M.C. Escher. We video taped various responses to pieces of work and created our own perspective piece. 2. Eiffel Tower at the end of March (lessons vary from sketch, paint, sculpt, paper, foam, etc.) and we usually hold an old iron easel I have to feel what the tower is made of. Students love this topic and each class/year things change as to how we explore the tower. 3. Masterpieces. Students love getting to know masterpieces and there are so many ways to present lessons. For example, one class that recently studied American Gothic ended up studying the history of the house, the Sears Goth window and then we looked at other Gothic architecture and explored. It was an adventure. And when studying Henry viii, we all explored whether he had too many goodies. Oh, and when we studying Blueboy it was in a Disney show and that led to some great discussion! and 4. Cubism: This was fun as some older students looked at the math relationships, some classes used oil pastels to make their pieces explode, and we also had some nice music and other lesson tie-ins. And one more favorite lesson: Junk Art. Varied by age and materials, but the challenge of making art with "junk," trash or leftover stuff was fun. Some spry painted their pieces, others made huge collages with lots of hot glue - some sketched around various items, and others created themes - like line designs with different materials. HTH, Yvette in VA

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

                > I have run out of steam creating next year's syllabus. I got all the way through December. And second semester I usually start again with a different theme, so I'm open to lots of ideas. I teach k-10th grade, btw.
                >
                > I've been looking at the Art department, which usually raves me up with ideas, and at Artsonia.com, but I thought I'd ask what lessons have been your favorite over the years.
                > Thanks for your help,
                > Brandy

              • Diane Davis
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 12 2:52 PM
                  I'm really interested in how some kids spray painted sculptures. I
                  can't do it in the school because of the ventilation system which
                  sends smells throughout a whole wing in an instant. If they go
                  outside, when they bring it back in, the sculpture still smells and
                  the fumes seem to spread. I can't really leave them outside..... So
                  spraypaint has essentially been banned. And yet, it is perfect for
                  some sculpture work. What do you do?

                  diane
                • Janice Benkoske
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 12 2:56 PM
                    there are water-based spray paints that are non-toxic...check Home Depot or Lowe's...Has anyone used the whiteboard paint?  Have a wall of chalkboards that I would like to bring into the 21st century.

                    Jan Benkoske
                    Meridian Middle School
                    2195 Brandywyn Lane
                    Buffalo Grove, Ilinois 60089
                    847.955.3500 ext. 3584

                    At moments of great enthusiasm it seems to me that no one in the world has ever made something this beautiful and important.
                    ::: M.C. Escher :::

                    This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
                    is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
                    recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
                    or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
                    please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
                    whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
                    information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
                    Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
                    such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
                    you are receiving the information.

                  • Holly Clement
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 12 3:03 PM
                      I have never heard of white board paint, but that is an awesome concept.

                      Holly

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 12 7:41 PM
                        I'd like some tips on this as well! So far, I have been able to just leave projects outside because our art room is right near an exit door with a space that is isolated, and I have two windows to keep an eye on projects. Have had a little debris on some things, but for the most part, things dry quickly and after about six hours outside the fumes have subsided a lot. If they still have that strong odor (and many do- depends on type of spray paint, how many layers, what medium was sprayed, humidity, etc. ), the pieces are lined up and left in the hall - which is not always ideal because of hall traffic (even if light in our hall) and so I have used a very large box, left open (with a small fan blowing while I was there) to store pieces in more subtly. I also use essential oils to help with air quality - and this helps if projects come in that may have some odor (The essential oils are added in a mist or I add a few drops to a small fountain I have - and this seems to help clean up odors of all kinds- and speaking of air quality, I am thinking about getting two or three plants this year - to also help keep the classroom air fresh). Anyhow, one idea for pieces that you think REALLY have to have spray paint, maybe do them all on a Friday afternoon and have a designated spot where they can sit ventilated to dry over the weekend. This may help with fumes in the school.hmmm
                        take care,
                        ~Yvette in VA