Answers to discipline woes (MS and up)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I was bummed when my links didn't work to the posts...
      so I am copying and pasting...WARNING this is a
      longone (smile).

      From Admiral Larry Seiler (or Genral of the Armies -
      at least a five star):

      Started the new quarter, and everyone warned me about
      the 8th graders I'd be getting.

      Having received the early word...I set up parameters
      for a preeminent strike and frontline assault,
      initiated first with heavy textbook artilery and
      orders to take no prisoners.

      In fact...the first wave attack went so well, I wonder
      why my war generals have not come up with such a
      battle plan in the past. The students were dazed, some
      wondered what hit them? A few accused me of enacting a
      prison system, but by week's end...I could tell that
      the majority of students were relieved that the prime
      offenders were not going to be allowed to usurp
      authority and take over the class.

      By week's end...I am very pleased with the effort
      being put out, the more serious atmosphere. By week's
      end, I was able to explain the atmosphere I wanted and
      demanded that would ensure the environment for right
      brain creative focus with optimum possible results.

      I'm sure some of you have constructed such a battle
      plan...perhaps have even shared it...but I wonder
      where my head was?

      Oh...I have used various methods with varied
      success...but the textbook "I will teach you how to
      study" approach rendered their defenses weak. I had a
      small uprising attempt to outflank me, but reserved
      reinforcements quickly quelched their meger effort.

      Here's what I did....I have the text book "Art
      Talk"...and hardly ever use it really, having been
      more frequently hands on with exceptions of history
      lessons and such. I remembered a system for studying
      in college that I didn't learn 'till about my junior
      year that took a blank sheet of paper, drew a vertical
      line 2" from the left side of the paper. As you take
      in a lecture or study a book, you sum up what you hear
      (but in this case...) what you just read in one
      paragraph. Sum it up with one good sentence that will
      remind you what that paragraph was about. Then, on the
      other side within that 2" border area, you write one
      or two descriptive words of your summary sentence.

      That really gets them to think about what they are
      reading, and especially so because they will have to
      characterize this with few words.

      The beauty...is I will give them a test. They will not
      be able to use the book, but will get to use their
      notes. Of course, in college...we didn't get to use
      our notes, but this is all so new to them.

      I begin each day's block with their hittn' the books
      for 15 minutes. We are in chapter six on shapes and
      form.

      During this time I am assessing their efforts to
      convince me they want to begin hands-on. I let them
      know certainly that making art will be a privilege to
      be earned in my room. If I am not convinced, I told
      them that art can be book learned, or hands on learned
      and it is their choice. If their privilege to work is
      not earned, I'll tack on an addition 5-10 minutes or
      if necessary we'll use the whole period. It is
      possible to isolate one table, and have that group
      work the text longer.

      Amazing...the students began policing themselves. I
      began to see peer pressure work within their ranks.
      One table this week initiated some negative reaction,
      but the rest of the tables told them to be quiet and
      just get to work. I have seen kids who thought it was
      fun sitting with trouble makers now opt to sit
      elsewhere. Offenders are finding less pay off for
      their offenses.

      Now...if I have students that finish their work early,
      and especially if I determine it is due to a lack of
      caring to do their best, they know that what awaits
      them is the instruction to get their textbook back out
      and continue on where they left off.

      I have seen students go back, get their drawings/work
      back out of their drawer and take it back to their
      table to put more work into it.

      I have had a few teachers come into my room this week
      that had this group this past quarter, and their eyes
      grew big to witness the civility and studiousness.

      I haven't done this before...not in many many years,
      so I don't know yet what I don't know...but so far so
      good. The zone appears fortified, the objectives
      appear to be well in sight.

      Larry
      My websites-
      http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
      http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/
      -----------------------------------
      From Judy - My "thinking kids" actually liked book
      work - that is something they could easily do
      (smile)-making art was harder for them. Larry is a
      wonderful art educator and loves his job. He knew he
      would not have any of the problems the "real" teachers
      were complaining about....I am just glad he had so
      much fun telling us -- that what we do is RIGHT!
      Making art is a privilege! One that should be enjoyed
      by all.
      I know Larry does not view his bookwork as
      "punishment" per se.

      Cheers!

      Judith

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        Bravo, Larry, That was great. Do you think youmay have had some part of your
        success because you"re a man? I'd love feedback from other teachers on that
        subject.
        Renah Bell
        renah@...