Re: Paint colour(s)

  • kismet_c2
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2009
      I love the psychology of colour. I appreciate your comments and think that a calming green might work. Now it's a matter of which green. :-)
      Thanks Brandy,
      Sandra

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

      > There was an entire thread on this idea about a year ago maybe. I couldn't find it when I looked for it just now, but maybe the person who posed the question will pipe up.
      > Lots of people had great idea. Mostly about creating an invigorating room that didn't get them too riled up- no reds, too strong. Yellow is good, but it can't too close to a brown or it looks muddy and saps energy. A lighter yellow can lead to more concentration (hence the reason for yellow legal pads.) but if it's too light, it can also give you a headache to stare at it.
      > I think you should consider what you need the color to do, promote energy or calm it down. Green is a good color for concentration and can also be calming. (that's why guests literally sit in a green rooms before going on talk shows.) Blue is a not a good color for creativity, but can promote compromise and cooperation. (You should negotiate in a blue room, unless you're the one being talked down, then get out of there :) Brown is a stable color and promotes groundedness and conservativeness. It has a damping effect on creative thinking. Lighter and middle shades of purple promote people to act spontaneously and freely. A great creative color, as well have sometimes having a calming effect on females, but not on males. ? Curious, huh?
      > It would be great if three walls could be one color and one wall could another.
      > Good luck,
      > Brandy
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "kismet_c2" <sandra_c2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The art rooms in the high school where I teach are being repainted this summer and I have been asked to select the colour(s). Currently they are a tired white but I would like to consider using colour to inspire and engage students as opposed to distracting them in their work process. I am considering an accent gallery wall for artwork display. I welcome any comments or suggestions since I am off to the paint store today to explore the possibilities.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Sandra

    • artistws
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
        I painted the wall behind my supply counter black with giant drips of color coming down the wall from the ceiling. I drew the giant freeform drips on first then painted the rest of the wall black, the drips last. I also had a few drops below the drips on the lower wall. I had red, blue, yellow and green drips and drops. My sinks are on this wall too so when paint splattered on the wall it looked like it blonged there. They repainted my room last year and I didn't know until the week befoe school that they had painted over the wall. My students were so disappointed is was gone, so I am repainting it before school begins this year. The remainer of my walls are institutional white but I hang many original works and prints so we have lots of color. A side tip here I pick up original art works when I am at flea markets, yard sales etc. Last spring I picked up a painting of Michael Jackson that a student had painted in an art class somewhere, good work too, I framed it and hung it in my room. My junior high students love the originals, we teachers all have the same free prints by the master artist and they have seen them every year since kindergarten. LOL Wanda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "kismet_c2" <sandra_c2@...> wrote:

        > I love the psychology of colour. I appreciate your comments and think that a calming green might work. Now it's a matter of which green. :-)
        > Thanks Brandy,
        > Sandra
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There was an entire thread on this idea about a year ago maybe. I couldn't find it when I looked for it just now, but maybe the person who posed the question will pipe up.
        > > Lots of people had great idea. Mostly about creating an invigorating room that didn't get them too riled up- no reds, too strong. Yellow is good, but it can't too close to a brown or it looks muddy and saps energy. A lighter yellow can lead to more concentration (hence the reason for yellow legal pads.) but if it's too light, it can also give you a headache to stare at it.
        > > I think you should consider what you need the color to do, promote energy or calm it down. Green is a good color for concentration and can also be calming. (that's why guests literally sit in a green rooms before going on talk shows.) Blue is a not a good color for creativity, but can promote compromise and cooperation. (You should negotiate in a blue room, unless you're the one being talked down, then get out of there :) Brown is a stable color and promotes groundedness and conservativeness. It has a damping effect on creative thinking. Lighter and middle shades of purple promote people to act spontaneously and freely. A great creative color, as well have sometimes having a calming effect on females, but not on males. ? Curious, huh?
        > > It would be great if three walls could be one color and one wall could another.
        > > Good luck,
        > > Brandy
        > >
        > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "kismet_c2" <sandra_c2@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > The art rooms in the high school where I teach are being repainted this summer and I have been asked to select the colour(s). Currently they are a tired white but I would like to consider using colour to inspire and engage students as opposed to distracting them in their work process. I am considering an accent gallery wall for artwork display. I welcome any comments or suggestions since I am off to the paint store today to explore the possibilities.
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Sandra

      • kismet_c2
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
          Sounds like a super creative wall and I can see why the students loved it.

          All of my cupboard doors, doors within the art room (supply room, kiln room) and the front door have all been painted by former students. They looks great. I especially love my front door with Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam". It's my walls that have that gungy tired suodo white that begs attention. I feel that the students deserve a clean beautiful room and at the moment, it needs a lift.

          Thanks for your comments.
          Sandra