Another Quote for Today

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks Linda - I do like good quotes.

      We like the stars around here, too - We bought our son a nice telescope years ago to look at the stars.

      This one looks good for today, too.

      "Great dreams... never even get out of the box. It takes an uncommon amount of guts to put your dreams on the line, to hold them up and say, 'How good or how bad am I?' That's where courage comes in."
      Erma Bombeck

      Hmmm...That Vincent one reminds me of another Patty Knott quote, too -- when she found her puddle of fall colors...and saw a dream in that puddle of colors. Maybe Vincent "speaks" to her , too -- I know Martin Luther King, Jr. does (smile).

      Here is my Quotes page:
      I haven't checked thos links since last Feb - I'll see if they are still active.

      Judith

      I was looking for quotes of artists and came along on this site....wanted to share!

      I love this one-"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream."
      ~Vincent Van Gogh
    • MissCaiola@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Here is a collection of Art, creativity, inspirational,famous artists, and motivational quotes that I have collected for many years for you too enjoy...

        Patti in Ohio

        "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true.  You may have to work for it, however."
        -Richard Bach

        "True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist."
        -Albert Einstein

        "It's always too early to quit."
        -Norman Vincent Peale

        "The arts are an even better barometer of what is happening in our world than the stock market or the debates in congress."

        -Hendrik Willem Van Loon

        "A picture is worth a thousand words."

        -Napoleon

        "Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up."
        - Pablo Picasso

        "Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or doing it better."

        -John Updike

        "Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them."

        -Ann Landers

        "The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."

        -Flora Whittemore

        "Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
        -Pablo Picasso

        "A man paints with his brains and not with his hands."
        -Michelangelo

        "There are more valid facts and details in works of art than there are in history books."
        -Charlie Chaplin

        "Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist."
        -Rene Magritte

        "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."
        -Degas

        "When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work.  I told her I worked at the college- that my job was to teach people how to draw.  She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?""
        -Howard Ikemoto

        "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
        -Auguste Rodin

        "Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and

        boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the

        compelling force of all times has been the force of

        originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots

        of human spirit."

              -Ansel Adams

        "In creating, the only hard thing is to begin: a grass

        blade's no easier to make than an oak."

        -James Russell Lowell

        "Imagine the Creator as a stand up commedian - and at

        once the world becomes explicable."

        -H. L. Mencken

        "You know...that a blank wall is an apalling thing to

        look at. The wall of a museum -- a canvas -- a piece of

        film -- or a guy sitting in front of a typewriter. Then,

        you start out to do something -- that vague thing called

        creation. The beginning strikes awe within you."

                                -Edward Steichen, Wisdom

        I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.'

        Vincent Van Gogh

        I often think the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day. Vincent Van Gogh

        Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        In an artist's life, death is perhaps not the most difficult thing.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        The emotions are sometimes so strong that I work without knowing it. The strokes come like speech.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        How wonderful yellow is. It stands for the sun.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        Have you seen that portrait Gaugin did of me painting sunflowers? it was really I, but it's I gone mad.

        Vincent Van Gogh

        They see poetry in what I have done. No. I apply my methods, and that is all there is to it.

        Georges Seurat

        I build a painting by putting little marks together--some look like hot dogs, some like doughnuts.

        Chuck Close

        Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have.

        Edvard Munch

        Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye -- it also includes the inner pictures of the soul.

        Edvard Munch

        No longer shall I paint interiors with men reading and women knitting. I will paint living people who breather and feel and suffer and love.

        Edvard Munch

        There is a battle that goes on between men and women. Many people call it love.

        Edvard Munch

        I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way -- things I had no words for.

        Georgia O'Keeffe

        I'll make them big like huge buildings going up. People will be startled; they will have to look at them.

        Georgia O'Keeffe, flower series

        Life obliges me to do something, so I paint.

        Rene Magritte

        I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.

        Frida Kahlo

        This woman's work is exceptional. Too bad she's not a man.

        Edouard Manet, commenting on the work of Berthe Morisot

        It is important to express oneself... provided the feelings are real and are taken from you own experience.

        Berthe Morisot

        When I was a kid, a book I read advised young artist to be themselves. That decided it for me. I was a corny kind of guy, so I went in for corn. Walt Disney

        I never intended to make art.

        Walt Disney, when his work was displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

        I am interested in ideas, not merely in visual products.

        Marcel Duchamp

        I want to make high art that is funny, outrageous and also reveals the human condition, which is not always high.

        Robert Arneson

        Abstract paintings must be as real as those created by the 16th century Italians.

        Frank Stella

        People call me the painter of dancers, but I really wish to capture movement itself.

        Edgar Degas

        Conversation in real life is full of half-finished sentences and overlapping talk. Why shouldn't painting be too?

        Edgar Degas

        I feel as though I haven't seem an object until I actually start painting it. Janet Fish

        Women at that time were supposed to look pretty and throw little handkerchiefs around... well, I couldn't play that role.

        Louise Nevelson

        When the subject is strong, simplicity is the only way to treat it.

        Jacob Lawrence

        Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment.

        Claude Monet

        The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

        Paul Cezanne

        I hope with all my heart that there will be painting in heaven. Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot

        Art is I; Science is We.

        Claude Bernard

        Life without industry is guilt, and industry without art is brutality.

        John Ruskin

        Art takes nature as its model.

        Aristotle

        If the artist sees nothing within him, then he should also refrain from painting what he sees before him.

        Caspar David Friedrich

        Art is not the bread, but the wine of life.

        John Paul Richter

        All art is but imitation of nature.

        Seneca

        The aim off art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.

        Aristotle

        A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.

        Michelangelo

        How important are the visual arts in our society? I feel strongly that

        the visual arts are of vast and incalculable importance. Of course I

        could be prejudiced. I am a visual art.

        Kermit the Frog, muppet

        Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once

        he grows up.

        Pablo Ruiz y Picasso

        Art is a way of expression that has to be understood by everyone,

        everywhere.

        Rufino Tamayo, artist

        The sculptor, and the painter also, should be trained in these liberal

        arts: grammar, geometry, philosophy, medicine, astronomy, perspective, history, anatomy, theory of design, arithmetic.

        Lorenzo Ghiberti

        There are three forms of visual art: Painting is art to look at, sculpture is art you can walk around, and architecture is art you can walk through.

        Dan Rice

        Art is idea. It is not enough to draw, paint, and sculpt. An artist should be able to think.

        Gordon Woods

        Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure.

        Alfred North Whitehead

        If painting weren't so difficult, it wouldn't be fun.

        Edgar Degas

        Art is like a border of flowers along the course of civilization.

        Lincoln Steffens

        Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain.

        G eorges Braque

        Conception, my boy, fundamental brain work, is what makes all thedifference in art.

        Dante Gabriel Rosetti

        To draw, you must close your eyes and sing.

        Pablo Ruiz y Picasso

        So I said to myself-I'll paint what I see-what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking the time to look at it. I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers. Georgia O'Keeffe 1887-1986

        We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.

        Sir Winston Churchill

        Architecture is inhabited sculpture.

        Constantin Brancusi

        Always design a thing by considering its next larger context -- a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan.

        Eero Saarinen

        Form ever follows function.

        Louis H. Sullivan

        Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

        William Morris

        We should comport ourselves with the masterpieces of art as with exalted personages -- stand quietly before them and wait until they speak to us.

        Arthur Schopenhauer

        A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts.

        Sir Joshua Reynolds

        My contribution to the world is my ability to draw. I will draw as much as I can for as many people as I can for as long as I can. Drawing is still basically the same as it has been since prehistoric times. It brings together man and the world. It lives through magic.

        Keith Haring

        All art is an individual's expression of a culture. Cultures differ, so art looks different.

        Henry Glassie

        Culture is something that evolves out of the simple, enduring elements of everyday life; elements most truthfully expressed in the folk arts and crafts of a nation.

        Thor Hansen

        I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

        John Adams, 2nd U.S. President 1735-1826

        He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

        St Fancis of Assisi

        Art is not a pleasure, a solace, or an amusement; art is great matter. Art is an organ of human life, transmitting man's reasonable perception into feeling. In our age the common religious perception of men is the consciousness of the brotherhood of man-we know that the well-being of man lies in the union with his fellow men. True science should indicate the various methods of applying this consciousness to life. Art should transform this perception into feeling.

        The task of art is enormous. Through the influence of real art, aided by science, guided by religion, that peaceful co-operation of man is now obtained by external means-by law courts, police, charitable institutions, factory inspection, etc.-should be obtained by man's free and joyous activity. Art should cause violence to be set aside. And it is only art that can accomplish this.

        Leo N. Tolstoy

        Patti in Ohio
        MissCaiola@...