[art_education] Mural- fees?

  • Denise Pannell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hello everyone.
      I have a dilemna that I hope someone can help me with. I have been asked to paint a fairly extensive mural in a local business and I am not sure how to charge for this service. In the past, I have created murals for the schools I worked in (free), for friends (free or low cost), or friends of friends (small donation). I now have the opportunity to make some actual money and I don't want to make a mistake in my bid- too high and I scare them off- too low and I am cheating myself.

      So... do I charge by the hour, including supplies in the fee? How much per hour?
      Or, so I base my fee on the entire job and give them a flat fee and hope they realize the amount of work involved? How much? I'd be interested in what some of you have done.

      The mural will be of an English cottage/garden on a wall approx. 15 ft. wide. Also, I will be painting some flowers in another, smaller room, but not the entire wall. If you need more information, please let me know.

      Please help- I am at a complete loss!!

      Thank you in advance.

      Denise Pannell

    • Becky Hopkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29, 2009
        In the past I have determined what my time is worth, assessed the scale of the job, how much prep work, etc, and began there. Once I came up with a good estimate of time to prep, plan, paint, seal, etc.,
        I then decided how much I felt my original idea was worth, priced materials (including brushes, paint, tarps) and made a spreadsheet that itemized the bid: idea, hours, materials. I then would give a "discount"
        on labor if I felt the bid might be a little too high, so that it looks like they are getting a good deal (as I am certain they are!). I painted a large mural on a retaining wall in southern Arizona (lots of sun exposure,
        so a lot of prep work and two coats of sealer plus very high quality mural paint). I charged $6000 for the idea and labor and an additional $400 for materials (I think I am recalling the materials correctly). I assessed my
        time to be worth $45/hour, roughly. They were happy with the bid and I finished the piece much more quickly than I had estimated, so I was happy with the job, too!
        I don't know if that is helpful, but I hope that it is.
        Becky Hopkins

        art_education@yahoogroups.com writes:

        >Hello everyone.
        >I have a dilemna that I hope someone can help me with. I have been asked to paint a fairly extensive mural in a local business and I am not sure how to charge for this service. In the past, I have created murals for the schools I worked in (free), for friends (free or low cost), or friends of friends (small donation). I now have the opportunity to make some actual money and I don't want to make a mistake in my bid- too high and I scare them off- too low and I am cheating myself.
        >
        >So... do I charge by the hour, including supplies in the fee? How much per hour?
        >Or, so I base my fee on the entire job and give them a flat fee and hope they realize the amount of work involved? How much? I'd be interested in what some of you have done.
        >
        >The mural will be of an English cottage/garden on a wall approx. 15 ft. wide. Also, I will be painting some flowers in another, smaller room, but not the entire wall. If you need more information, please let me know.
        >
        >Please help- I am at a complete loss!!
        >
        >Thank you in advance.
        >
        >Denise Pannell
        >
        >[ http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=36837 ]http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=36837

        Becky Hopkins
        Art Teacher
        Marion Junior High School

      • David Exner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2009
          Hello Denise,

          My high school paid $3,000 to $8,000 for two different murals that were airbrushed by a local artist who is quite popular in our area.  The smaller mural measures approx. 8 feet high by 12 feet wide.  The larger mural is approx. 10 feet high by 16 feet wide.  Please keep in mind that prices can vary widely based on economic factors in different geographic areas.

          The business owner needs to be made aware of ALL ASPECTS of this project before you give them a price quote.  That way, they can get an idea of how much effort is going into the mural, not to mention your talent and ability, which is the most valuable factor in this equation:

          1.  Preliminary sketches/layout & design
          2.  Wall preparation, such as washing with an earth friendly phosphate free "TSP 90" or similar product; spackling/patching any small holes; double priming the wall with a quality titanium white based acrylic gesso.
          3.  Transferring the design onto the wall.
          4.  Underpainting
          5.  Painting
          6.  Sealing with two coats of a quality clear top coat to protect the mural from "wear and tear".

          You mentioned that the wall is 15 feet wide, I am guessing that it is about 8 feet high.  Before you quote a price, you may want to do some searching on the Internet to see if there are price quotes from other artists in your general area.  Your purpose, of course, is to avoid shortchanging yourself not undercutting "the competition".

          I hope this provides you with at least some help.  Happy painting and good luck!

          Peace,
          David Exner

          We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

          David G. Exner
          Art Teacher & Art Club Co-Adviser
          Community High School,District 94
          WestChicago
          (630)876-6407

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2009
            One more thing, you might want to check out is if your city has fees or permits necessary to paint murals, if they are located on the outside of the building. I found that my city put a ban on murals some years ago. Sad but true.
            REgards,
            Brandy
          • mcautobiography
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
              You may not want to get involved in this, but you could consult 1st Amendment attorneys about whether this is legal. I bet it is Unconstitutional. -Michael