Administrator letter- art education conferences

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2009
      I received this letter from my state's art education list serve. It is a letter that is intended for your school administrator justifying your attendance at your state's and/or national art education conference. I thought some of you might want to give a copy to your principal:

      Dear Administrator,

      As you plan your 2009 professional development budget, we encourage you to include financial support for your visual art educators to attend the 2009 _______ Conference to be held at ___________ on _________. Attendees will have the opportunity to register for sessions dealing with important developmental academic and professional issues such as:

      • School improvement
      • Community service
      • Interdisciplinary curriculum
      • G/T & special education
      • State standards and lesson planning

      These professional development opportunities will invigorate your art teachers and provide them with resources they need to prepare their students to become active and responsible citizens. Continuing research in art education indicates that a host of significant thinking skills available in art class will provide young people with the tools they need for the 21st Century. This is exemplified by new research by Lorin Anderson (2002), who suggests that "Creating" has replaced "Evaluation" as the highest thinking skill in Bloom's Taxonomy. Additionally, art education plays a fundamental role in school improvement. Consider the following:

      "Arts in the schools increase test scores and lower dropout rates...arts education helps close the achievement gap, improves academic skills essential for reading and language development, and advances students' motivation to learn."
      Source: Arts Education Partnership

      We strongly urge you to send your teachers to the ________ Conference, one of _______ largest professional development opportunities. We look forward to partnering with you to make your students the very best.

      Sincerely,

      Bradford B. Venable, PhD.
      President
      Art Education Association of Indiana
    • square1marty
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2009
        THIS IS GREAT and I intend to send it to many many art teachers. I'm
        sure they'll appreciate it already prepared for them. If art teachers
        get to their administrators EARLY during pre-planning, they'll no doubt
        have a better chance to have expenses covered.

        From what I hear at conventions, most art teachers have to "foot the
        bill" and if lucky, receive "SOME" reimbursement but not much.
        Substitute pay seems to be the biggest problem that I hear about. Is
        this common now?

        By the way, I have heard of one county in the metro Atlanta area where I
        live, that has issued 3 furlough days. The days off prevented their
        pre-planning art inservice to be cancelled until a later date. If this
        is happening elsewhere, it might be a good topic to discuss. SO SAD!

        Marty Reid