Silkscreen printing with elementary

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I missed getting Kathy Douglas' last screen printing
      post shared... I don't want to miss this time. I will
      eventually get this added to IAD...In the meantime
      enjoy her words of wisdom.

      From Kathy:

      This is one of my favorite teaching weeks. Eight year
      old students have been introduced to silk screen.
      Simple paper stencils are cut and fingerpaint is the
      pigment. (From Judy: wax paper makes great stencils -
      and cheap!)

      Students print on 12 x 18 construction paper of
      various colors. Each student who chooses this makes
      four copies of their first stencil (this so that a
      number of students may have a turn using the six
      screens) Each screen has one color. Stencils are
      thrown away after the first printing of four. The
      second week students cut another stencil and print
      another color on their first four prints; some
      students, now familiar with the process, have time to
      cut a third stencil and print their third color. Then
      comes week three. I tell the students that printmakers
      reflect on what they have done and that
      printmaking is the art of second chances. The students
      are invited to lay out their four prints. If one (or
      more) look great, then they may be finished! That is
      up to the artist.
      Some of the four may need another color; that is
      another choice and students can cut another stencil
      and add that color, protecting the parts of the print
      that they like with the new stencil which blocks the
      paint. But the most fun is the occasional print which
      looks not too good--or TERRIBLE (Note from Judy: those
      "Terrible" prints are GREAT for collage projects - or
      for paper weavings! "Terrible" prints can be
      awesome!). With this print the students have nothing
      to loose. Some use the paper trimmer to change the
      shape or discard smudgy parts that they do not like.
      Others "spice" up the print with oil pastels or paint
      or chalk or ?? Some of the most interesting prints
      were painted. I noticed that students who had been
      nervous about painting in the past (with that scary
      blank piece of paper defying them to begin) were very
      comfortable painting in to their unsatisfactory print.
      There were some wonderful images which emerged that
      day! Reflection on and manipulation of the art work
      were the big ideas this week. I love to teach silk
      screen printing.

      Kathy Douglas
      http://knowledgeloom.org/tab
      http://tabchoiceteaching.blogspot.com/

      Folks you CAN do screen printing. You don't have to
      use expensive screens. Many years ago, I made all of
      my own silk screen frames and stretched cheap organdy
      fabric on them. It was doable - while not
      "professional". Glue stencils (LaPages Glue)worked,
      too. I loved screenprinting -- just hated the clean
      up. I bet finger paint cleans up much easier from the
      fabric.

      Be sure to check out Kathy's Knowledge Loom site
      (Craig Roland had shared it with Getty list quite some
      time ago).

      Judith

      P.S. Getty folks - ignore any post from my address
      that comes with an attachment - they are NOT mine. It
      is actually from earthlink.net according to full
      header. There is an old post about sketchbooks now
      making the rounds with a virus attached - NOT from me.
      Use your delete key and save time.

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/