Re: [art_education] art therapy

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
      This is one of the problems with contracts and pay
      scales. The more years, the more pay. The only way for
      a teacher to move on or get more pay is to get into
      administration or leave the profession. Districts
      frequently consider new educators to be full of
      energy, more flexible, and willing to learn new
      programs- in addition to being cheaper to hire.
      Ken

      --- crasm@... wrote:
      > I'm a seasoned art teacher and no suburb schools
      > will hire me because I have
      > too many years of experience. It is unfortunate
      > that the Districts value
      > beginners because they are cheap and inexperienced.
      > The state I live in
      > cries out there is a shortage of teachers but will
      > not look at the
      > discrimination -----money,experience,age.
      >
      > Once a teacher has taught over 3 years, they are
      > locked into a job .
      > Otherwises, they are unmarketable. It is appalling
      > and disgraceful!
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > A disenchanted teacher!

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • DeAnn Hanisch
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
        As I have been reading the current discussion, I
        wonder if alternative schools and settings such as
        Boys Town (as we have in Nebraska) or JD educational
        programs might be other avenues to look into. An art
        teacher who retired a few years ago from our
        department was just hired to teach at Boys Town for
        next year. I have no idea as to what type of
        certification requirements or training are needed for
        such settings. It's worth looking into. Just an idea.

        --- Mary Kate McKinley <marykate@...> wrote:
        > How about approaching it as developmental
        > diagnostics for special ed
        > instead of mental/emotional health? Or developmental
        > therapy?
        >

        > At 12:26 AM Friday 5/31/2002 -0400, you wrote:
        >
        > >I am an art therapist!! That's what I received my
        > graduate training in.
        > >There's no work here in mental health, let alone
        > art therapy. NADA.
        > >Nothing. Nope- I checked with all the RTCs,
        > hospices, nursing homes. No
        > >money. And if I'm lucky to get my grant, I'll be
        > making a whopping $15
        > >hour a couple times a week & non of my prep hours
        > get paid for. They don't
        > >understand it here & I sometimes wonder if they put
        > a big X next to my
        > >name when they see NY on my cv. (CO is very anti
        > East/West coasters- they
        > >are afraid of being turned into big cities).
        > >
        > >Art therapy is a great field but you have to live
        > in the right city. The
        > >market is not good elsewhere.
        > >
        > >Wayong

        > ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of
        > Service.
        > >---
        > >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
        > >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
        > (http://www.grisoft.com).
        > Date: 5/29/2002
        >

        > ---
        > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
        > (http://www.grisoft.com).
        > Date: 5/29/2002

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • gabriela
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
          hello, everyone... Seasons Greetings! I am interested (very) in art
          therapy... do you know any site to study by internet? Or any info i
          will truly appreciate... I already asked the art therapy group to be
          accepted with no good answer yet... :(
          thanks!
        • Katherine
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "gabriela" <gabrielalealvega@...> wrote:

            > hello, everyone... Seasons Greetings! I am interested (very) in art
            > therapy... do you know any site to study by internet? Or any info i
            > will truly appreciate... I already asked the art therapy group to be
            > accepted with no good answer yet... :(
            > thanks!

            This is not exactly what you seek, but Leslie University in Boston has a good degree for
            that
            http://www.lesley.edu/lc/art2.html
            Perhaps they have some publications you could find

            A wonderful book about this: Coles, Robert. THEIR EYES MEETING THE WORLD Available
            used for almost nothing on Amazon.com; a must-read in my opinion.

            Actually Amazon has a number of books, three of them under twenty dollars in the Art
            Therapy category.

            I studied with Peter London who is, among other things, an art therapist. His book is
            DRAWING FROM WITHIN and is aimed at adult artists who are stuck...but it is a great read.
            Also inexpensive in paperback. He has a great quote to the effect that all art is only the
            by- product of the transforming Self. (he says it better of course)

            A Google search for "art therapy" brings up a lot of stuff; good hunting!

            kathy douglas
            K-3 massachusetts, retired
            Teaching for Artistic Behavior
          • ebonygirlp@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
              I am a registered art therapist, and because of the practicums that you have to complete and having supervision hours along with your academic studies, I don't think an online class is offered. And if it is and not recognized by the American Art Therapy Assoc. you would be wasting your money.

              Edna J. Patterson-Petty

              When words are too deep, try art therapy

              http://fabricswork.com