Re: I had a great summer camp this summer...s

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2009
      So did you spend the whole day at one place each Thursday? Did you get the parents to drop the children off there? I'm wondering about transportation issues (and insurance)?
      I also run a summer camp, and that has been a big issue for me. Mine is not an arts only camp though. It's a more traditional camp with multiple teachers.
      http://members.cox.net/bergiemoore/dangerousCamp.html
      I encourage anyone who takes this idea as their own to charge more money a week. I do through and with my church for under privileged kids. We have a few payees, but most are scholarshiped in. It's an amazing week of science, arts and games. I will freely send anyone who wants the supply list and daily schedule of our camp an email.
      Thanks for your tips on your camp,
      Brandy

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "linda" <lindwood@...> wrote:

      > My fifth graders this year were probably the most overall talented group of drawers I have ever taught. .... I promise, it did not feel like hard work and the kids felt like they had some ownership of the camp as they voted on the locations that we went to before school was out. I only handed out the applications to fifth graders. they already had all the skills and self-confidence that they needed to make this a truly pleasant experience.
      > Linda in Houston

    • linda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2009
        I had no liability insurance problem. I had the parents drop off and pick the kids up from designated areas each week. We spent anywhere from 2.5-3 hours at each location, including the snack/lunch/whatever break. I felt like it was very worth my while. I charged 275.00 per kid, and about 90.00 of it was for supplies, which included a sketchbook, a few sharpies, pencils, erasers, small pencil sharpener, and a box of 36 prismacolors. I also stuck in a pack of black paper and spray fix so that they could paste a page of black paper into their sketchbooks and draw on that for several projects. Some of our drawings were pencil drawings, some were colored pencil, a pen and ink, and a charcoal. Five in all. My fifth graders and I put the idea for this together during the 4th quarter. I only put out flyers to that class. It was alike their graduation treat before they leave me and go to Middle School. I will definitely do it again. The nicest thing about this is that I advertised my THOUGHTS to the kids in class one day as they were completing their Funny Face Drawings (lesson is in incredible art department if you are interested), and the kids were feeling especially great about their drawings on that day. One of them said, Oh yea, that would be a blast, and keep it only for 5th grade. Why not, I thought? They have recently acquired all the skills they would need for the class. It would be like icing on the cake of what all we did this year with drawing! It was perfect. I did not have to work my tail off with 10,000 crafts supplies and prep. I handed each child their "goodie bag" the first day. That was the end of my supplies that I had to pass out. They had it all from that day forward in satchels that they brought on day one. I also really liked the pace of this "job." It was only on Thursdays for 5 weeks. I have done other camps where I work for the first two weeks while everyone else is on vacation. I'm tired, I'm burned out from the end of school. This way was so much more relaxed and laid back. I loved working with them on site, and my work load was minimal compared to other camps I taught. In the end, I made about the same amount of money. Oh, and I had 10 kids. I would not want more. I had to keep circulating to them as they spread out within a given area a bit to draw what they really wanted to draw, not what I necessarily chose for them.