Re: Notan Design - Lesson idea

  • Brenda Robson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      I am not able to find any of the Notan examples listed below. I'd really like to see them if anyone copied and pasted onto a lesson plan or their computer.
      Brenda

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Decker" <JDecker@...> wrote:

      > Dear Art Educators,
      >
      > Notan came up on Getty list earlier this fall in a discussion on positive
      > and negative space. Bunki Kramer did a lesson with her students that was
      > very successful. This is a good lesson from many grade levels (see Santa
      > Rosa Junior College examples)
      >
      > The term notan, often translated simplistically as dark-and-light, is a
      > phonetic composite of two Japanese or Chinese characters no (meaning
      > concentrated) and tan (meaning pale, faint).
      >
      > Notan : The Dark-Light Principle of Design
      > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/048626856X/102-0287640-8075300
      > ?v=glance
      >
      > Some examples -Santa Rosa Junior College:
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-web/
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm
      >
      > Notan mask designs (slide changes every 10 seconds):
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-f02/
      > Here they created corrugated cardboard masks from their designs:
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm
      >
      > pdf file - student handout:
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan.pdf
      >
      > Bunki Kramer's student work:
      > http://www.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/NEWKramer/Notanfolder/NOTAN.htm
      >
      > You can find more examples by entering Notan in a Google image search.
      >
      > If anyone does a lesson on this, I would like to put it on Incredible Art
      > Department.
      >
      > Here is another design project to consider - Type Collage:
      > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/type-web/ good for middle school through
      > high school.
      >
      > Judy Decker - Ohio
      > Jdecker@...
      > Incredible Art Department
      > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
      > http://www.incredibleart.tk

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
        I don't have copies of the examples for which the links no longer work. I do have one photo that shows 8 examples of Notan.

        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2628336820076630878CqbSvb

        These were done as a part of a Sunday school lesson on John 21:1-17. The lesson is posted at http://rotation.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1401026472/m/1771067472?r=308106461#308106461

        --Carol

      • bruthrobson@aol.com