RE: [art_education] RE: Ceramics- questionable projects

  • Suzette Milam-Morrow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009

      I totally agree, you cannot let that stuff go. I have the same policy. A “Code of Conduct” contract is signed from the start. The best part is, what might slip by you (due to the widening generation gap) is always pointed out by another student at some point. It has to be addressed in a uniform consistent method. I always remind myself, “What you ignore you condone” as Michael Josephson of CHARACTER COUNTS says. Even if it is the 17th kid I have sent up that day with inappropriate clothing AND it’s 7th period.  I will hold the bar steady and the kids know it.

      Suzette

      I just put it out there right in the beginning of the year. I have the kids & parents sign a contract saying that they will NOT make such items. I talk to them about it, we laugh, they ask who has done it in the past...etc.etc. etc.

      I tell them it will be treated as a drug offence...when a bong is made (happened twice - one was even in the shape of a male body part?!? ugh.) I brought them to the vice principal - actually, the body part shaped one, I just "accidentally" dropped.

      And, pot leaves are also a no-no...no drug references -- if a kid brings that home and says "Oh, I made it in art class" that makes you responsible. ...

      good luck, if you want a copy of my contract, I may be able to hunt it down for you...

      MaryJo

      Creativity is alive when h.s. students want to try to get one past you. I had a one try to slip the bong project past me by making it a pinch pot kangaroo. I also have had the never ending pot leaf motif to contend with that students often want to argue is a maple leaf. Ahhhhh, creativity is alive and well. Now the trick is directing it, ah?

      Warning- Reclaim buckets can be a source for unwanted items, such as pencils and….the teacher’s electric pencil sharpener. Yeah, some smartie –pants thought that would be funny. Needless to say, he got to wedge a lot of clay that year.