A Call for : Art lessons and Units that motivate middle school students!

  • crayonblum
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2009
      Hi, my name is Caryn-

      I am new to this site. I am at the end of my second year teaching art at the elementary school level. I teach at two schools in urban/impoverished areas of NJ. (A whole other story)..

      My biggest challenge is how to motivate students who constantly claim
      "I hate art", "Art is not a real subject". "Art is boring".

      THis year, I collaborated with a teacher on a film adaptation project with the 7th grade. They created a modernized version of John Steinbeck's "The Pearl". The students worked to learn filming techniques, and set design, as well as some acting skills. The project overall was a success- they were highly motivated, but now they tell me that every other art form is boring, or not worth thinking about.

      I am looking for new, and inspiring lessons that incorporate painting, sculpture and printmaking, or other thrifty mediums.

      Perhaps how to make our own paint, etc etc..

      THANKS! :)
    • Suzette Milam-Morrow

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2009
          Your students who claim everything but remaking the Pearl is boring...tough act to follow if they really loved it that much. HOWEVER, I would go with 3D projects for a while to re-hook them. papier mache, clay, etc. Personal retablos made from cardboard with paper mache were fun for my kids. Lots of mixed media opportunities. Another project that my kids have LOVED is "When is a box more than a box" and "When is a chair more than a chair". Make boxes that are thematic - still funciton as a box, but look like something else...an animal, or an object. I had kids make boxes that looked like Sumo wrestlers and cats, dogs, rabbits. I also had kids make chairs that were wildly thematic and fun. A chair that looked like a cow in a tutu, Hawaiian waiters as chairs, and on and on and on. You have to make it fun if their last act was so much fun that they are staying that is ALL they want to do.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "crayonblum" <acrayonbloom@...> wrote:

          > Hi, my name is Caryn-
          >
          > I am new to this site. I am at the end of my second year teaching art at the elementary school level. I teach at two schools in urban/impoverished areas of NJ. (A whole other story)..
          >
          > My biggest challenge is how to motivate students who constantly claim
          > "I hate art", "Art is not a real subject". "Art is boring".
          >
          > THis year, I collaborated with a teacher on a film adaptation project with the 7th grade. They created a modernized version of John Steinbeck's "The Pearl". The students worked to learn filming techniques, and set design, as well as some acting skills. The project overall was a success- they were highly motivated, but now they tell me that every other art form is boring, or not worth thinking about.
          >
          > I am looking for new, and inspiring lessons that incorporate painting, sculpture and printmaking, or other thrifty mediums.
          >
          > Perhaps how to make our own paint, etc etc..
          >
          > THANKS! :)

        • Reen Shannon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2009
            Those projects do sound like fun! Do you have a lesson plan or more detailed instructions that you could share with us?

            Your students who claim everything but remaking the Pearl is boring...tough act to follow if they really loved it that much. HOWEVER, I would go with 3D projects for a while to re-hook them. papier mache, clay, etc. Personal retablos made from cardboard with paper mache were fun for my kids. Lots of mixed media opportunities. Another project that my kids have LOVED is "When is a box more than a box" and "When is a chair more than a chair". Make boxes that are thematic - still funciton as a box, but look like something else...an animal, or an object. I had kids make boxes that looked like Sumo wrestlers and cats, dogs, rabbits. I also had kids make chairs that were wildly thematic and fun. A chair that looked like a cow in a tutu, Hawaiian waiters as chairs, and on and on and on. You have to make it fun if their last act was so much fun that they are staying that is ALL they want to do.

            --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "crayonblum" <acrayonbloom@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi, my name is Caryn-
            >
            > I am new to this site. I am at the end of my second year teaching art at the elementary school level. I teach at two schools in urban/impoverished areas of NJ. (A whole other story)..
            >
            > My biggest challenge is how to motivate students who constantly claim
            > "I hate art", "Art is not a real subject". "Art is boring".
            >
            > THis year, I collaborated with a teacher on a film adaptation project with the 7th grade. They created a modernized version of John Steinbeck's "The Pearl". The students worked to learn filming techniques, and set design, as well as some acting skills. The project overall was a success- they were highly motivated, but now they tell me that every other art form is boring, or not worth thinking about.
            >
            > I am looking for new, and inspiring lessons that incorporate painting, sculpture and printmaking, or other thrifty mediums.
            >
            > Perhaps how to make our own paint, etc etc..
            >
            > THANKS! :)

          • linda
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 15, 2009
              Re When is a chair more than a chair, and when is a box more than a box:
              The lesson is posted in Incredible Art Department. I can't see here how to activate the link, but you can cut and paste the following into your browser:
              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Linda-mache.htm

              > Those projects do sound like fun! Do you have a lesson plan or more detailed instructions that you could share with us?

            • anni3136
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 15, 2009

                Hey Caryn,

                I taught in a similar situation in Florida.  One project that my students loved was soap carving.  We studied Inuit art (soapstone carving) and then recreated animals that they would see in Florida.  The only materials you need is soap (I had students bring one or two bars from home), plastic utensils, newspapers, and toothpicks.  The best soap to use is a moisturizing soap since they seem to crack less.  Another project that my students found interesting was using egg cartons to create moncala games.  There is a whole lesson plan on the incredible art department for that.  For examples of student art see: http://www.artsonia.com/schools/archive.asp?id=68327&type=art&year=2006

                Have fun!

                Anni

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "crayonblum" <acrayonbloom@...> wrote:

                > Hi, my name is Caryn-
                >
                > I am new to this site. I am at the end of my second year teaching art at the elementary school level. I teach at two schools in urban/impoverished areas of NJ. (A whole other story)..
                >
                > My biggest challenge is how to motivate students who constantly claim
                > "I hate art", "Art is not a real subject". "Art is boring".
                >
                > THis year, I collaborated with a teacher on a film adaptation project with the 7th grade. They created a modernized version of John Steinbeck's "The Pearl". The students worked to learn filming techniques, and set design, as well as some acting skills. The project overall was a success- they were highly motivated, but now they tell me that every other art form is boring, or not worth thinking about.
                >
                > I am looking for new, and inspiring lessons that incorporate painting, sculpture and printmaking, or other thrifty mediums.
                >
                > Perhaps how to make our own paint, etc etc..
                >
                > THANKS! :)

              • aliteachesart
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 16, 2009
                  Hi Caryn,

                  Sometimes students "boring" or "not fun" really means "I don't get it". I make a step by step menu for each lesson and post it on the board. My lessons are very open ended, but have a few musts (learning objectives). I have found this has cut down on behavior issues and negative attitudes about the project. This could be your rubric sheet (I teach younger students so I don't do this). Check out TAB too or modified TAB. ALi NNY k-4
                • scifiterri85021
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 16, 2009
                    You are a wonderful resource to myself as a teaching student in an education curriculum.

                    Bringing up a good point from the students' perspective, "What comes next?" "How do I top that ?" I enrolled in a course Integrating the Arts into Education which I loved.

                    How do we continue those wonderful, perhaps lofty ideas and yet keep kids interested in the nonlofty ideas?

                    Bravo!
                    Teresa