spammer

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi,
      I figured it was a prank or spam mail by the spelling mistakes.of the foll words:

      i) Qestion
      ii) intell
      iii) procssors
      iv)  valueable
      It must be so tough on the Moderator to read each and every mail and sift out the unnecessary ones.

      Kamla
      Chennai,India

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2009
        Thanks for your post. With 1,367 subscribers, it can be difficult. If someone subscribes but doesn't give me any information, I don't approve them until I get it. Sometimes I never get it and simply deny their subscription. Here are a few subscriptions in the queue that have been submitted to me and are awaiting more information. As you can see, no doubt there are a few spammers here:

        "I am very interested in joining this group because, I like it."
        "hi i need right way to right education."
        "want to join the group plz."
        "i am a artist that why i wana join this group.....so plz accept my request."

        The two subscriptions below are difficult in spite of the fact they gave me the necessary information. I don't have a good feeling about them because of grammatical errors and wondering why a person with a masters in economics or simply an "art lover" want to subscribe:

        "hi modie iam renjith frm dubai,i would like to join this nice group,becouse iam also an art lover so kindly ad to me in this groop pls...."
        "i am intizar hussain done masters in economics living in pakistan city karachi age 37years."

        I get about six subscribers a day but only end up approving 1-2 of them. Because of a few sliding past me recently, I am going to be much pickier now.

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I figured it was a prank or spam mail by the spelling mistakes.of the foll words:
        >
        > i) Qestion
        > ii) intell
        > iii) procssors
        > iv) valueable
        > It must be so tough on the Moderator to read each and every mail and sift out the unnecessary ones.
        >
        > Kamla
        > Chennai,India

      • Dan Triplett
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2009
          I ran a chess club discussion group for over ten years (it's still around but has all but died). In its heyday we'd get hundreds of post in a month. I didn't have the volume of subscribers you have - but the moderating kept me busy. I added two other moderators to help with the approvals of new members and also help with screening of posts. After a member "proved" him/herself I put them on unmoderated postings. New members were always moderated at first. This helped to cut down on the spammers.

          However you're approaching the moderating, you're doing a great job. I've really enjoyed reading the posts and have gotten a lot of great ideas from others on this list. I have to admit I did enjoy reading your message to the spammer. Keep up the good work.

          And thanks to all the legit posters because this is one fellow art teacher that has gained a lot from things said on this list!

          Happy summer,

          Dan Triplett
          Art Teacher
          Bordeaux Elementary