Re: [art_education] Middle School and a Clay program from scratch

  • Linda Daumen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
      hi Cathy,

      Wow....you have a big change, not to mention trying to get a clay program together. I have a L&N Easy fire kiln and I love it. We are going to get our second kiln and they are about 1,900.00 This includes the shelf kit. Of course it will need to be vented so that is an additonal cost. As far as clay I have found I can buy "purge clay" from Highwater Clays at .17/lb.It comes red or white but exact color varies from bag to bag.Sometimes they have a buy one get one free deal. Last year I was able to buy 900 lbs of clay and it only cost 134.00 including shipping! It is low fire clay which is fine for middle school. Until you have enough money for glazes the clay pieces can be painted with Acrylic paint. Hope this helps and encourages you in your clay experience. Linda