Field day at park activities

  • mcautobiography
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
      I (with your help, I hope) need to figure out one or more large group art or artsy activities for three field days. These field days are at local parks and are age grouped as follows:

      Friday: K
      Tuesday: 4-5
      Next week: 1-3

      One idea floated was a paper airplane flying contest for the older kids, but 5th grade classes are already doing this for science. Also, this won't work on breezy days.

      For K, I was thinking of rolling out a huge sheet of brown paper and having them trace each other and color themselves in. And if I can locate face paint by the end of the week, maybe we could do this.

      But I'm really stumped for the 1st-5th grades. Any help/suggestions welcome.

      Thank you!!
    • Susanne Suprock
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009

        This might be fun!

        I did a Jackson Pollock Splatter painting piece, outside in the grass, with white sheets…. years ago when I taught elementary Art. We discussed abstract expressionism….put all the end of the year left over acrylic paint in plastic squeeze bottles( I had a bunch given to me by a hairdresser) and watered it down a bit….so it would go further.

        I did a lesson on the way Pollock painted….how he thought about the work…added stuff ect………….

        Then I grouped the kids…boy…girl……2 girls……..2boys……all boys.  Whatever set up you want.

        I gave the kids parameters so the experience would be controlled.

        I would set them up….then say……GIRLS CAN SPLATTER FOR 4 SECONDS………..BOYS CAN THROW SAND ON THE PAINTING FOR 2 SECONDS……You can only use red………..They loved it………. I did it with all grades!

        By using Acrylic based paints the sheets can be washed…..I still have 3 of them. That was 15 years ago!

        Susanne

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
          Ahh... A large scale weaving project (One that can be walked under as it is being made.)
           Plastic streamers come to mind as a material to use. Susan
        • maryjo rosania
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
            Use plastic bags from the grocery store...cut into strips and tied together! RECYCLE!
            you could also use waterbottles to make something.

            oh, and I just thought, if you are going to do the Jackson Pollack painting - use waterbottles for the paints - poke holes in the tops and SQUEEZE!

            also, since you will be outside, you could do something with Andy Goldsworthy's work -- perhaps even creating sculptures you can keep on the school grounds.
            Have Fun!
            MaryJo

            --
            MaryJo Rosania

          • kathrynconeway
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 6:50 AM
              I enjoyed the different responses to this inquiry. The recycling ideas are great. Here is one more...making paper...great for out in the sun on a hot day. This project was done at a soft ball picnic outside at a park. The materials were all recycled...we just had to pulp the paper and carry water. Let me know what you think and please keep posting other fun outdoor/community art ideas.
              http://artatthecenter.blogspot.com/search/label/Community%20Art%20Events