Re: [art_education] Re: Need help

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
      Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
      Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?

      MaryAnn
      Kohl

      On Jun 2, 2009, at 6:40 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

      > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.

      This speaks volumes- he isn't likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were "solving" this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed drawing units, art history, paper manipulations, etc. - dry work. When you are comfortable with the new situation then try to bring in wet work. The kids might miss out on some materials, but they will be missing out even more if you are stressed and overwhelmed! I wouldn't even do a cart across the street- a basket or crate on wheels. Is the room yours? Is there a janitor closet or rest room near by with water?

      This could be an opportunity to educate the middle school faculty so they see what you do w/ the kids. When they ask where the paint and clay are they will know the answer- across the street. Getting other teachers on your side will make a difference; they are probably only thinking about one less worry for them with the crosswalk issue out of the way. Good luck! Ali NNY k-4

    • bruthrobson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        No there's no reason except that our upper school principal is taking over the middle school.  One girl was expelled recently due to a violent act and so I guess they are jumpy.  I escort them over a crosswalk that is above the street.  I can't escort them back to the office if they are called out during class or anything but I have 2 kids escort them and they come back together.

        The water may be rectified by next year but I am not betting on it.  I teach 6 different levels: 18 classes per week part time.  I think that's hard enough!  But having to have all my materials transported over there from a supply room I have each week is going to drive me crazy.

        Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
        Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?