Jobs in Art Leadership...

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hello fellow Art Educators.....
      I have been struggling with my future as a public school educator and trying to decide if that is what I want to do when I grow up? heehee.... I have recently had occasion to dabble in the "fund raising" aspect of Arts Education.

      Long story short, I am looking for some guidance on whether a career in Arts Management would be fulfilling and/or even worth the trouble. I feel that with my organizational background, that I could do some good in the non-profit arena getting funding for all the programs in our country that need it. Well, not ALL of them, but maybe one in particular.

      We have a couple of local colleges that offer an MFA in Arts Management that includes coursework on grant writing and administration for all types of Arts including Fine Arts.

      I recently read a great article about one university that included interviews with artists/educators that have gone this route and found that they are even more involved in the local art communtiy and doing their own art more.

      Anyone with a background in this area, please feel free to chime in. I guess the biggest question is, if I pursue this degree, and plunk down the cash, are there even enough jobs to support doing it in the first place?

      I would think that especially in this financial climate, folks with knowledge in this field would be even more sought after?

      Thanks for helping me find myself!

      Shelly in Seattle
    • maryjo rosania
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
        Shelly,
        I am also curious about this route. Right now I am in my second year as an art supervisor in a public school -- it is, to me, a logical step for moving in the direction of arts management - but honestly, I do not know if it would be a pay cut after holding this position.
        I like this position, but since I am a teaching supervisor I am divided all over the place and do not feel like I can devote my time to one thing well - be it my department, my students, my lessons, my art...etc. It is like having three jobs - except - THANKFULLY - I have the summer off still...

        So, anyone who is knowledgeable in this avenue out there?
        I live on the other coast Shelly -- on the border of NJ and PA -- so we are not competition for jobs !! :)
        MaryJo

        --
        MaryJo Rosania

      • aliteachesart
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
          Hi Shelly,
          My question to you is- do you need the degree before you get the job? My friend that works for nonprofits sees colleagues get their education paid for all the time (she works with homeless/mental health though). If you have the skill set and the ability to write grants you may be able to get a job then the degree. Why don't you ask around at some NFPs you would like to work at- you might be able to intern or volunteer and turn that into a job. I hear grant writers are often paid a percentage of the grants they win as their compensation anyway. Hope that helps, ALi