Re: [art_education] Re: Need help

  • maryjo rosania
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
      Was it a liability thing with kids walking across the street? Did parents complain...because, unfortunately - that is a hard battle to win.
      He sounds pretty stubborn, you might have to be gentle in the way you present your argument -- but I would start with asking for a solid reason for this change.
      MaryJo

      Just hit him from the financial aspects of this - you will now need 2 of everything because there are two rooms. This should open his eyes.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Robson" <bruthrobson@...> wrote:

      > My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.
      >
      > I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.
      >
      > I will do this all on a part time basis.
      >
      > I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.
      >
      > Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed

      It is amazing how things never seem to change! Principals need to spend about month in an art schedule setting and they'd have an entirely new perspective on "what works"! I'm sorry to hear this story but it not unusual and we're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo unable to say "no" for so many reasons. They just don't understand the energy that an art teacher initiates to his/her curriculum so that each child receives the BEST possible eperiences. I guess this means you will be wheeling a cart of bone dry clay pieces across the street to have them fired too? Oh gosh....and then again on other second firings! I can only wish you luck and to "keep the faith". I'm sure you're creative and will make the most out of this situation but it's always a shocker!

      --
      MaryJo Rosania

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.

        This speaks volumes- he isn't likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were "solving" this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed drawing units, art history, paper manipulations, etc. - dry work. When you are comfortable with the new situation then try to bring in wet work. The kids might miss out on some materials, but they will be missing out even more if you are stressed and overwhelmed! I wouldn't even do a cart across the street- a basket or crate on wheels. Is the room yours? Is there a janitor closet or rest room near by with water?

        This could be an opportunity to educate the middle school faculty so they see what you do w/ the kids. When they ask where the paint and clay are they will know the answer- across the street. Getting other teachers on your side will make a difference; they are probably only thinking about one less worry for them with the crosswalk issue out of the way. Good luck! Ali NNY k-4
      • MARYANN KOHL
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
          Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
          Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?

          MaryAnn
          Kohl

        • bruthrobson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
            No there's no reason except that our upper school principal is taking over the middle school.  One girl was expelled recently due to a violent act and so I guess they are jumpy.  I escort them over a crosswalk that is above the street.  I can't escort them back to the office if they are called out during class or anything but I have 2 kids escort them and they come back together.

            The water may be rectified by next year but I am not betting on it.  I teach 6 different levels: 18 classes per week part time.  I think that's hard enough!  But having to have all my materials transported over there from a supply room I have each week is going to drive me crazy.

            Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
            Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?