Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Need help

Expand Messages
  • Brenda Robson
    My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.

      I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.

      I will do this all on a part time basis.

      I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.

      Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
    • MARYANN KOHL
      Why do people think that art teachers, with all their supplies and things to organize, can teach like this?!?!?!?!?! How exhausting. Can you tell him NO ?
      Message 2 of 13 , May 29, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Why do people think that art teachers, with all their supplies and things to organize, can teach like this?!?!?!?!?!
        How exhausting.

        Can you tell him"NO"?

        .............. 
        MaryAnn
        Kohl



        On May 29, 2009, at 10:07 PM, Brenda Robson wrote:



        My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.

        I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.

        I will do this all on a part time basis.

        I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.

        Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed

      • bruthrobson@aol.com
        He told me to Get over it when I said I had no earthly idea how I d do this. ... From: MARYANN KOHL To:
        Message 3 of 13 , May 29, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.


          -----Original Message-----
          From: MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...>
          To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:16 am
          Subject: Re: [art_education] Need help



          Why do people think that art teachers, with all their supplies and things to organize, can teach like this?!?!?!?! ?!
          How exhausting.

          Can you tell him"NO"?

          ............ .. 
          MaryAnn
          Kohl



          On May 29, 2009, at 10:07 PM, Brenda Robson wrote:



          My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.

          I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.

          I will do this all on a part time basis.

          I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.

          Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
        • Terri Noell
          I know it is hard to wrap your mind around these changes now...but,the world ALWAYS expects us to ADAPT to any an ALL conditions and changes....in my district,
          Message 4 of 13 , May 30, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            I know it is hard to wrap your mind around these changes now...but,the world ALWAYS expects us to ADAPT to any an ALL conditions and changes....in my district, you would be put on a cart and given a closet for your supplies(if you were lucky)...so, 2 rooms could only be a dream...check and see if the principal will increase you budget to set up the other room....you can handle these changes...in most district,many,many people are looking for teaching jobs because of the economy and lots of schools are also being closed...hang in there and do what we always do....come up with a creative way to work this out and appreciate the opportunity-see it as another of the inventive challenges in life!
            Good Luck & God Bless!
            Terri
            prk-5 fla.


            HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.
          • square1marty
            ... It is amazing how things never seem to change! Principals need to spend about month in an art schedule setting and they d have an entirely new perspective
            Message 5 of 13 , May 30, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Robson" <bruthrobson@...> wrote:
              >
              > My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.
              >
              > I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.
              >
              > I will do this all on a part time basis.
              >
              > I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.
              >
              > Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
              >

              It is amazing how things never seem to change! Principals need to spend about month in an art schedule setting and they'd have an entirely new perspective on "what works"! I'm sorry to hear this story but it not unusual and we're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo unable to say "no" for so many reasons. They just don't understand the energy that an art teacher initiates to his/her curriculum so that each child receives the BEST possible eperiences. I guess this means you will be wheeling a cart of bone dry clay pieces across the street to have them fired too? Oh gosh....and then again on other second firings! I can only wish you luck and to "keep the faith". I'm sure you're creative and will make the most out of this situation but it's always a shocker!
            • Ken
              If it were me I d talk with my principal and tell him/her why it wouldn t be good for the kids. The number one reason being there is no water and you can t
              Message 6 of 13 , May 30, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                If it were me I'd talk with my principal and tell him/her why it wouldn't be good for the kids. The number one reason being there is no water and you can't have clay or painting in a room without water. There must have been something that happened to cause this decision, so find out what it is to better address the concern rather than doing what he/she suggested.

                Ken

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Robson" <bruthrobson@...> wrote:
                >
                > My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.
                >
                > I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.
                >
                > I will do this all on a part time basis.
                >
                > I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.
                >
                > Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
                >
              • Ken
                Oh brother. You have one of those as an administrator. Because you are dealing with someone with little common sense, tell him/her it would be a shame that you
                Message 7 of 13 , May 30, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  Oh brother. You have one of those as an administrator. Because you are dealing with someone with little common sense, tell him/her it would be a shame that you will no longer be able to have the kids paint and do clay (or anything that needs water). If the room is across the street will you or the students need to cross the road? If so, point out the liability in having you or students be required to cross a street- especially if you are pushing a cart.

                  Ken

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, bruthrobson@... wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.
                • Beth Morris
                  Are you teaching at 2 schools that are across the street from one another? And as a result, the middle school kids are crossing the street to come to your
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment

                    Are you teaching at 2 schools that are across the street from one another?  And as a result, the middle school kids are crossing the street to come to your class?  I could see why the school would want to change this situation, but I can see how you use the same materials, posters, books, etc….

                     

                    I had a sit down with a principal once that went well…perhaps if you were able to explain about the no water, and how and why that does not work for art.  In my situation, I also asked for some kind of mini-grant or a supply list to be determined by me, to help make up for the dividing up of the rooms (in my case we were adding a teacher and dividing things in half, and adding a new grade to the school).  Be kind, but firm.  It seems most people want to be reasonable if they are able.  My situation worked out well.  I hope the best for you.

                     

                    If the parents like the art, and the 7 & 8 grade parents were to get hear of the situation (no water, etc)….that is another route, but one your principal may not like so well.

                     

                    Beth
                    Marietta, GA

                  • Jennifer Auble
                    Just hit him from the financial aspects of this - you will now need 2 of everything because there are two rooms. This should open his eyes.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1 3:18 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Just hit him from the financial aspects of this - you will now need 2 of everything because there are two rooms. This should open his eyes.

                      >>> "square1marty" <marty@...> 05/30/09 9:09 AM >>>
                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Robson" <bruthrobson@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.
                      >
                      > I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.
                      >
                      > I will do this all on a part time basis.
                      >
                      > I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
                      >

                      It is amazing how things never seem to change! Principals need to spend about month in an art schedule setting and they'd have an entirely new perspective on "what works"! I'm sorry to hear this story but it not unusual and we're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo unable to say "no" for so many reasons. They just don't understand the energy that an art teacher initiates to his/her curriculum so that each child receives the BEST possible eperiences. I guess this means you will be wheeling a cart of bone dry clay pieces across the street to have them fired too? Oh gosh....and then again on other second firings! I can only wish you luck and to "keep the faith". I'm sure you're creative and will make the most out of this situation but it's always a shocker!
                    • maryjo rosania
                      Was it a liability thing with kids walking across the street? Did parents complain...because, unfortunately - that is a hard battle to win. He sounds pretty
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 1 5:06 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Was it a liability thing with kids walking across the street? Did parents complain...because, unfortunately - that is a hard battle to win.
                        He sounds pretty stubborn, you might have to be gentle in the way you present your argument -- but I would start with asking for a solid reason for this change.
                        MaryJo


                        Ā 
                        On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Jennifer Auble <aublej@...> wrote:


                        Just hit him from the financial aspects of this - you will now need 2 of everything because there are two rooms. This should open his eyes.

                        >>> "square1marty" <marty@...> 05/30/09 9:09 AM >>>
                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Robson" <bruthrobson@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > My new principal informed me the last HOUR of school that I am to no longer have middle schoolers walk to my room as they have for four years but I will have 2 rooms.
                        >
                        > I will see 3rd 4th 5th in one room and go across the street for the other grades.
                        >
                        > I will do this all on a part time basis.
                        >
                        > I am deciding what to do but am unable to see how this is in the best interest of the students because I cannot possibly duplicate everything I have. Plus the new room is very small with no water.
                        >
                        > Any thoughts at all would be so welcomed
                        >

                        It is amazing how things never seem to change! Principals need to spend about month in an art schedule setting and they'd have an entirely new perspective on "what works"! I'm sorry to hear this story but it not unusual and we're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo unable to say "no" for so many reasons. They just don't understand the energy that an art teacher initiates to his/her curriculum so that each child receives the BEST possible eperiences. I guess this means you will be wheeling a cart of bone dry clay pieces across the street to have them fired too? Oh gosh....and then again on other second firings! I can only wish you luck and to "keep the faith". I'm sure you're creative and will make the most out of this situation but it's always a shocker!





                        --
                        MaryJo Rosania


                      • aliteachesart
                        ... This speaks volumes- he isn t likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were solving this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2 6:40 AM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.

                          This speaks volumes- he isn't likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were "solving" this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed drawing units, art history, paper manipulations, etc. - dry work. When you are comfortable with the new situation then try to bring in wet work. The kids might miss out on some materials, but they will be missing out even more if you are stressed and overwhelmed! I wouldn't even do a cart across the street- a basket or crate on wheels. Is the room yours? Is there a janitor closet or rest room near by with water?

                          This could be an opportunity to educate the middle school faculty so they see what you do w/ the kids. When they ask where the paint and clay are they will know the answer- across the street. Getting other teachers on your side will make a difference; they are probably only thinking about one less worry for them with the crosswalk issue out of the way. Good luck! Ali NNY k-4
                        • MARYANN KOHL
                          Is there some reason the middle school kids can t cross the street to the main room? Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2 9:03 AM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
                            Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?

                            .............. 
                            MaryAnn
                            Kohl



                            On Jun 2, 2009, at 6:40 AM, aliteachesart wrote:




                            > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.

                            This speaks volumes- he isn't likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were "solving" this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed drawing units, art history, paper manipulations, etc. - dry work. When you are comfortable with the new situation then try to bring in wet work. The kids might miss out on some materials, but they will be missing out even more if you are stressed and overwhelmed! I wouldn't even do a cart across the street- a basket or crate on wheels. Is the room yours? Is there a janitor closet or rest room near by with water? 

                            This could be an opportunity to educate the middle school faculty so they see what you do w/ the kids. When they ask where the paint and clay are they will know the answer- across the street. Getting other teachers on your side will make a difference; they are probably only thinking about one less worry for them with the crosswalk issue out of the way. Good luck! Ali NNY k-4 

                          • bruthrobson@aol.com
                            No there s no reason except that our upper school principal is taking over the middle school.? One girl was expelled recently due to a violent act and so I
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2 9:17 AM
                            • 0 Attachment
                              No there's no reason except that our upper school principal is taking over the middle school.  One girl was expelled recently due to a violent act and so I guess they are jumpy.  I escort them over a crosswalk that is above the street.  I can't escort them back to the office if they are called out during class or anything but I have 2 kids escort them and they come back together. 

                              The water may be rectified by next year but I am not betting on it.  I teach 6 different levels: 18 classes per week part time.  I think that's hard enough!  But having to have all my materials transported over there from a supply room I have each week is going to drive me crazy.


                              -----Original Message-----
                              From: MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...>
                              To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                              Sent: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:03 am
                              Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: Need help



                              Is there some reason the middle school kids can't cross the street to the main room?
                              Is this a scheduling thing where the room is used for other stuff when you are not in it?

                              ............ .. 
                              MaryAnn
                              Kohl



                              On Jun 2, 2009, at 6:40 AM, aliteachesart wrote:




                              > He told me to "Get over it" when I said I had no earthly idea how I'd do this.

                              This speaks volumes- he isn't likely to work with you (where was YOUR input when they were "solving" this problem?). Maybe 7 and 8th will be doing detailed drawing units, art history, paper manipulations, etc. - dry work. When you are comfortable with the new situation then try to bring in wet work. The kids might miss out on some materials, but they will be missing out even more if you are stressed and overwhelmed! I wouldn't even do a cart across the street- a basket or crate on wheels. Is the room yours? Is there a janitor closet or rest room near by with water? 

                              This could be an opportunity to educate the middle school faculty so they see what you do w/ the kids. When they ask whe re the paint and clay are they will know the answer- across the street. Getting other teachers on your side will make a difference; they are probably only thinking about one less worry for them with the crosswalk issue out of the way. Good luck! Ali NNY k-4 
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.