Re: [art_education] art therapy

  • Kelli Denne
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

      I am appalled at the fact that a district would only hire beginning teachers or "1 yr only" teachers.  I guess I never noticed because I am still a beginning teacher.  When you move into my district, no matter how many years of experience you have you are knocked down to seven years on the pay scale.  You could be a veteran teacher who's taught for 25 years and they would still knock you down to seven.  That's pretty sad.

      Just my opinion.

      Kelli

        Wayong@... wrote:

      hmmm...that's disgraceful (about crasm not being able to get a job). I see at 'my' district that many of the advertisements for teachers are 'one yr only'. I've been told districts do the 'one yr only' so they can get cheaper labor.

      That's one of the many things I want to address in my new group Colorado Kids in Crisis. I'm hoping- ambitious sort that I am to get kids, parents, teachers, therapists, supervisors, administrators & funders talk about community problems & come up with better resolutions. For example, I wouldn't be suprised that the parents aren't aware of the the teacher situation.  The difficulty, I would imagine is to get administrators on this list (closed minded as they usually are).  I'm hoping to eventually get different branches in different states if the demand is big enough (in the meantime I'm keeping it to one group). I'm also hoping that it'll eventually lead to face to face community meetings several times a year as well.  There are just so many problems with educational, mental health, habilitation & rehabilitative care & community issues that are not being addressed!

      Wayong

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • Christa-Maria
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
        Wayong,
        You are right, I've run into the same thing, got axed for someone
        cheaper that had more certification to teach more subjects and she
        replaced two part time teachers..
        I worked very hard to get a good art program establiehed at the school
        without a budget and anything, just when I had it going, they pulled the
        plug on me. There is no
        real artprogram at the school any more, it's a sad thing, but the budget
        is so tight, Art is the first to go...
        C-M
      • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
          Re: [art_education] art therapy 2/6/02 9:37 PM

          I'm a seasoned art teacher and no suburb schools will hire me because I have too many years of experience.  It is unfortunate that the Districts value beginners because they are cheap and inexperienced.  The state I live in cries out  there is a shortage of teachers but will not look at the discrimination -----money,experience,age.

          Once a teacher has taught over 3 years, they are locked into a job .  Otherwises, they are unmarketable.  It is appalling and disgraceful!

          Sincerely,

          A disenchanted teacher!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Happens in Australia! I have three years as a art teacher in charge of a catholic school art unit for entire school, numerous years teaching in TAFE and Primary with two art degrees and a degree in Education as well as being a professional artist. I teach Primary extension art classes one day a week and get no preparation or marking payment other than the exact hours I teach. I want to go back to more full time now as my little girl is big enough and we are financially strapped and desperately need me to work. I've applied for a job a week and not even got an acknowledgement letter at times! Now I'm not sure what to do!
          cheers julie from Australia
          zef@...
        • Ken Rohrer
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
            This is one of the problems with contracts and pay
            scales. The more years, the more pay. The only way for
            a teacher to move on or get more pay is to get into
            administration or leave the profession. Districts
            frequently consider new educators to be full of
            energy, more flexible, and willing to learn new
            programs- in addition to being cheaper to hire.
            Ken

            --- crasm@... wrote:
            > I'm a seasoned art teacher and no suburb schools
            > will hire me because I have
            > too many years of experience. It is unfortunate
            > that the Districts value
            > beginners because they are cheap and inexperienced.
            > The state I live in
            > cries out there is a shortage of teachers but will
            > not look at the
            > discrimination -----money,experience,age.
            >
            > Once a teacher has taught over 3 years, they are
            > locked into a job .
            > Otherwises, they are unmarketable. It is appalling
            > and disgraceful!
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > A disenchanted teacher!

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • DeAnn Hanisch
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
              As I have been reading the current discussion, I
              wonder if alternative schools and settings such as
              Boys Town (as we have in Nebraska) or JD educational
              programs might be other avenues to look into. An art
              teacher who retired a few years ago from our
              department was just hired to teach at Boys Town for
              next year. I have no idea as to what type of
              certification requirements or training are needed for
              such settings. It's worth looking into. Just an idea.

              --- Mary Kate McKinley <marykate@...> wrote:
              > How about approaching it as developmental
              > diagnostics for special ed
              > instead of mental/emotional health? Or developmental
              > therapy?
              >

              > At 12:26 AM Friday 5/31/2002 -0400, you wrote:
              >
              > >I am an art therapist!! That's what I received my
              > graduate training in.
              > >There's no work here in mental health, let alone
              > art therapy. NADA.
              > >Nothing. Nope- I checked with all the RTCs,
              > hospices, nursing homes. No
              > >money. And if I'm lucky to get my grant, I'll be
              > making a whopping $15
              > >hour a couple times a week & non of my prep hours
              > get paid for. They don't
              > >understand it here & I sometimes wonder if they put
              > a big X next to my
              > >name when they see NY on my cv. (CO is very anti
              > East/West coasters- they
              > >are afraid of being turned into big cities).
              > >
              > >Art therapy is a great field but you have to live
              > in the right city. The
              > >market is not good elsewhere.
              > >
              > >Wayong

              > ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service.
              > >---
              > >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
              > >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
              > (http://www.grisoft.com).
              > Date: 5/29/2002
              >

              > ---
              > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
              > (http://www.grisoft.com).
              > Date: 5/29/2002

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • gabriela
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
                hello, everyone... Seasons Greetings! I am interested (very) in art
                therapy... do you know any site to study by internet? Or any info i
                will truly appreciate... I already asked the art therapy group to be
                accepted with no good answer yet... :(
                thanks!
              • Katherine
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "gabriela" <gabrielalealvega@...> wrote:

                  > hello, everyone... Seasons Greetings! I am interested (very) in art
                  > therapy... do you know any site to study by internet? Or any info i
                  > will truly appreciate... I already asked the art therapy group to be
                  > accepted with no good answer yet... :(
                  > thanks!

                  This is not exactly what you seek, but Leslie University in Boston has a good degree for
                  that
                  http://www.lesley.edu/lc/art2.html
                  Perhaps they have some publications you could find

                  A wonderful book about this: Coles, Robert. THEIR EYES MEETING THE WORLD Available
                  used for almost nothing on Amazon.com; a must-read in my opinion.

                  Actually Amazon has a number of books, three of them under twenty dollars in the Art
                  Therapy category.

                  I studied with Peter London who is, among other things, an art therapist. His book is
                  DRAWING FROM WITHIN and is aimed at adult artists who are stuck...but it is a great read.
                  Also inexpensive in paperback. He has a great quote to the effect that all art is only the
                  by- product of the transforming Self. (he says it better of course)

                  A Google search for "art therapy" brings up a lot of stuff; good hunting!

                  kathy douglas
                  K-3 massachusetts, retired
                  Teaching for Artistic Behavior
                • ebonygirlp@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                    I am a registered art therapist, and because of the practicums that you have to complete and having supervision hours along with your academic studies, I don't think an online class is offered. And if it is and not recognized by the American Art Therapy Assoc. you would be wasting your money.

                    Edna J. Patterson-Petty

                    When words are too deep, try art therapy

                    http://fabricswork.com