worry doll issues with parents

  • boots13@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2009
      Hey all.....
      This month in the 7th grade we are studying the folk art of the guatemalans, worry dolls. Students are making sock dolls, which they decided could either be for a worry or a wish. The doll should represent themselves and we are learning to sew! Its amazing!!! :o)
      I work at an international school, so this issue comes as a shock...

      Issue:  I have gotten some complaints from students, telling me their parents do not like the idea of a "voodoo" doll, and that they either CANNOT participate in the project, or have to destroy the art when it is done....This is extremely disturbing to me since they sent their child to an international school, but also because it tells the students they cannot explore other cultures.
      Any suggestions on how to approach some kind of newsletter? I am torn between sending out a letter and not.....has anyone else encountered similar problems?
    • Becky Hopkins
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2009
        I had this issue when I covered Los Dias de los Muertos (Mexican Days of the Dead).  I moved to my present location (in the Mississippi delta) from the border of Mexico in Arizona, so I thought I would introduce the folk art that surrounds the Day of the Dead.  I sent home information on the holiday and everything, to not only educate the kids, but the parents as well.  They still complained that it was "devil worship" and said that the projects could not come home.  SO... I kept what I wanted and offered the rest to the Spanish teacher.  The kids loved making little clay calaveras.  It was fun.  Some people are just really narrow-minded and ignorant, and they seem happy there, so, I eventually gave up trying to inform.  I will continue to introduce other cultures and, as part of my letter home that the parents return signed to me at the beginning of the year, they already give me permission to do so, so I have "C.M.A." (lol)  Perhaps you can send home a similar letter at the start of next school year, informing parents that part of art is the study of other cultures and their folk art traditions.  In being exposed to other cultural traditions we often strengthen our own understanding and love of our OWN cultures.

        Becky Hopkins
        Art Teacher
        Marion Junior High School