RE: [art_education] KILN BROKE:( WHAT TO DO!!!

  • Suzette Milam-Morrow
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 9:19 AM

      How about a team project that will not be fired?

      Make the criteria together as a class for a contest and evaluation of the team.

      An example:

      The sculpture uses 5 geometric forms shifted.

      Or

      The sculpture must employ positive and negative spaces.

      In AP Ceramics the time frame of portfolios being due often did not allow for firing time, so photos of the piece were all we could complete. Not everything NEEDS to be a forever product.

      Have fun.

    • Becky Hopkins
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 9:23 AM
        Is there another school (close by) in-district where you can take the pieces (if the elements are more than simply popped out)?  It is not ideal, and greenware is SUPER fragile (as we all know) but it is an idea.
        That really sucks.  I am so sorry this happened.

        Becky Hopkins
        Art Teacher
        Marion Junior High School

      • Kerri Gordon
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6 9:57 AM
          thanks for all your help:)
          has anyone ever had the coils pop out on them?  my custodial engineer thinks its students pulling them out, but after I fire, they are popped out:(

          Kerri Gordon
          Art Teacher
          Northwood School
          Minong, WI
          54859
          715-466-2297

          "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
          -Basquiat

          Message 4 of 9 , May 6 10:30 AM
            Hahahha - good one! No it is not students popping them out. Elements expand during a firing and if they are even slightly out of place, they will pop out and eventually sag. You can still fire with the elements popping out but it becomes a nuisance as you need to make sure that nothing is touch the elements. Once you squeeze them back into place, they should stay put. However, if they keep popping out, then you might want to consider changing them altogether and making sure that they fit snugly in the grooves.

            cheers

            charlot
            www.charlotcassar.com

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Gordon <Kerri_Gordon@...> wrote:

            > thanks for all your help:)
            > has anyone ever had the coils pop out on them? my custodial engineer thinks its students pulling them out, but after I fire, they are popped out:(
            >
            > Kerri Gordon
            > Art Teacher
            > Northwood School
            > Minong, WI
            > 54859
            > 715-466-2297
            >
            > "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
            > -Basquiat
            > ________________________________

          • Lenny Sanz
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6 5:10 PM
              the coils on the bottom level of my kiln are actually on the floor of
              the kiln.
              I haven't had time to have them fixed or fix them myself. when I spoke
              to my tech helper (kiln company guy), i think he said that I could pin
              them in
              and cement w/ kiln cement myself. I think u have to buy kiln pins or
              something.
              I've been running it anyway, and things are firing fine.

              Donna

              On May 6, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Kerri Gordon wrote:

              > thanks for all your help:)
              > has anyone ever had the coils pop out on them?  my custodial engineer
              > thinks its students pulling them out, but after I fire, they are
              > popped out:(
              >
              > Kerri Gordon
              > Art Teacher
              > Northwood School
              > Minong, WI
              > 54859
              > 715-466-2297
              >
              > "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
              > -Basquiat

            • nevestcefrep
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 6:08 AM
                Kerri - Kiln Broke Question-

                I like the idea if you still have things that
                need to be fired to take them to a neighboring school!
                But I turned my ceramics into ceramics and sculpture
                class.. At the beginning of the term we do clay and
                now they are working on designing and building furniture
                from cardboard.. cheap and they enjoy it!! Plus they get
                to take something home they can use.. They have ideas
                from contemporary shelving units to chairs/chase lounges/
                end tables etc. Maybe you can do something like that..
                all you need is cardboard/elmers glue and tape to secure
                while glueing.. then they paper mache- paint and we decoupage
                finishing touches at the end.. with only a month you might
                want them to do it in pairs/groups. ??
              • aliteachesart
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7 12:01 PM
                  My top section element popped out. The kiln company help line said I could still use it if I cut them off with wire cutters. I have been using it like this for a couple years, I just can't load it as full. I would call the help # in your manual. Hope that helps, ALi