Re: KILN BROKE:( WHAT TO DO!!!

  • Blue
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2009
      if the elements actually broke then they have to be replaced. there is nothing else to it!

      if they just popped out of the grooves, then you need to heat the kiln until elements are pliable enough, turn it off, and squeeze them back into the grooves making sure the element does not touch at any point.

      hope this helps.

      charlot
      www.charlotcassar.com

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Gordon <Kerri_Gordon@...> wrote:

      > Kerri Gordon
      > Art Teacher
      > Northwood School
      > Minong, WI
      > 54859
      > 715-466-2297
      >
      > "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
      > -Basquiat
      > ________________________________

    • Suzette Milam-Morrow
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2009

        How about a team project that will not be fired?

        Make the criteria together as a class for a contest and evaluation of the team.

        An example:

        The sculpture uses 5 geometric forms shifted.

        Or

        The sculpture must employ positive and negative spaces.

        In AP Ceramics the time frame of portfolios being due often did not allow for firing time, so photos of the piece were all we could complete. Not everything NEEDS to be a forever product.

        Have fun.

      • Becky Hopkins
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2009
          Is there another school (close by) in-district where you can take the pieces (if the elements are more than simply popped out)?  It is not ideal, and greenware is SUPER fragile (as we all know) but it is an idea.
          That really sucks.  I am so sorry this happened.

          Becky Hopkins
          Art Teacher
          Marion Junior High School

        • Kerri Gordon

            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2009
              Hahahha - good one! No it is not students popping them out. Elements expand during a firing and if they are even slightly out of place, they will pop out and eventually sag. You can still fire with the elements popping out but it becomes a nuisance as you need to make sure that nothing is touch the elements. Once you squeeze them back into place, they should stay put. However, if they keep popping out, then you might want to consider changing them altogether and making sure that they fit snugly in the grooves.

              cheers

              charlot
              www.charlotcassar.com

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Gordon <Kerri_Gordon@...> wrote:

              > thanks for all your help:)
              > has anyone ever had the coils pop out on them? my custodial engineer thinks its students pulling them out, but after I fire, they are popped out:(
              >
              > Kerri Gordon
              > Art Teacher
              > Northwood School
              > Minong, WI
              > 54859
              > 715-466-2297
              >
              > "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
              > -Basquiat
              > ________________________________

            • Lenny Sanz
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2009
                the coils on the bottom level of my kiln are actually on the floor of
                the kiln.
                I haven't had time to have them fixed or fix them myself. when I spoke
                to my tech helper (kiln company guy), i think he said that I could pin
                them in
                and cement w/ kiln cement myself. I think u have to buy kiln pins or
                something.
                I've been running it anyway, and things are firing fine.

                Donna

                On May 6, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Kerri Gordon wrote:

                > thanks for all your help:)
                > has anyone ever had the coils pop out on them?  my custodial engineer
                > thinks its students pulling them out, but after I fire, they are
                > popped out:(
                >
                > Kerri Gordon
                > Art Teacher
                > Northwood School
                > Minong, WI
                > 54859
                > 715-466-2297
                >
                > "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
                > -Basquiat

              • nevestcefrep
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2009
                  Kerri - Kiln Broke Question-

                  I like the idea if you still have things that
                  need to be fired to take them to a neighboring school!
                  But I turned my ceramics into ceramics and sculpture
                  class.. At the beginning of the term we do clay and
                  now they are working on designing and building furniture
                  from cardboard.. cheap and they enjoy it!! Plus they get
                  to take something home they can use.. They have ideas
                  from contemporary shelving units to chairs/chase lounges/
                  end tables etc. Maybe you can do something like that..
                  all you need is cardboard/elmers glue and tape to secure
                  while glueing.. then they paper mache- paint and we decoupage
                  finishing touches at the end.. with only a month you might
                  want them to do it in pairs/groups. ??
                • aliteachesart
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 2009
                    My top section element popped out. The kiln company help line said I could still use it if I cut them off with wire cutters. I have been using it like this for a couple years, I just can't load it as full. I would call the help # in your manual. Hope that helps, ALi