Re: [art_education] Re:What projects are a hit with 6th graders?

  • bruthrobson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2009
      I would love the lesson and pictures!
      Brenda

      -----Original Message-----
      From: tas.arte <tas.arte@...>
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 3 May 2009 1:05 pm
      Subject: [art_education] Re:What projects are a hit with 6th graders?

      Please post the lesson plan.THANKS- -- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, Tracy Ralston <tralst1@... > wrote:

      > i actually did a impressionistic landscape acrylic painting with my sixth graders this past fall during my student teaching. we talked about the basics of landscapes as well as the difference in how the impressionist artists painted compared to the hudson river artists (we are new yorkers and i wanted to bring in something they might actually know of). it worked out really well. if you want a copy of the lesson or even wanna see pictures of the finished work just let me know.
      >
      > Tracy

    • Leah Korican
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2009
        My 6th grade students are loving soft sculpture. I'm letting them make larger than life size real objects out of cardboard or fabric. So far we have a band-aid, a camera, a pencil, a toothbrush.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2009
          ooh sorry just went back and saw the original post. I missed that you were asking for a cultural focus!
        • Becky Hopkins
          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2009
            Another hit with 6th grade: I did "Cows on Parade" where each student sculpted a cow from Model Magic and then made their cow "after " a specific artist.  The coolest one I had was a Rauschenburg cow that was created after his "Monogram", complete with tire, platform, and angora yarn to create the long locks the real sculpture had.  I just put names in a box and they had to research the artist that they drew from the box.  It was a lot of fun and the kids really loved their cows.  Too bad that I did not have a decent camera at the time, so I failed in getting any images, but... oh well.  You love and you learn.
            Beck

            art_education@yahoogroups.com writes:

            >I would love the lesson and pictures!
            >Brenda

            Becky Hopkins
            Art Teacher
            Marion Junior High School

          • Brandy
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2009
              I have had a lot of luck with combining this kind of thing- What if Clause Oldenburg was Latin American? How would it have changed his art? What might he have made differently?
              It takes a bit of critical thinking and has been very successful in the past when I combined two unrelated artists and cultures like this. To get them talking, I tell them part of their grade comes from their explanation. I tell them to put on them "con caps" and let it all pour out. Then I go into a really flowery explain of how some piece of trash on the floor is a great explain of the strife of modern life- "like that" I say. They think it's funny and they give it a try- but the amazing part is what comes out is usually pretty good. I've heard some deep thoughts usually rough water. I think doing it this way gives them permission to be deep about a subject that they would normally just say, "because it's pretty". It's an over night assignment, btw. When anyone gets up to talk during the next class, they have to wear the beret. It's fun.
              Using this, you can combine any artist or method with any culture because you have to know a lot of about both to make it really work well.
              Regards,
              Brandy