Art Ideas for Children with Autism

  • square1marty
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
      My 2 1/2 year old grandson is autistic and I need some reference books or art lesson ideas that I can do with him. He's very receptive to "song" and loves to "marker-up" the white board with Crayola window markers that I've set up for him. Any ideas would be most helpful. It's been a long time since I taught special needs children.
      Marty Reid
    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
        I think any "exploratory" art ideas will work for him, art that is a process and not a product.
        He might like printing with a balloon...dip in paint, press on paper. Or other objects that are a simple dip and press activity.
        Check my website for art ideas that fit this area:
        www.brightring.com

        MaryAnn
        Kohl

        On Apr 30, 2009, at 9:23 PM, square1marty wrote:

        My 2 1/2 year old grandson is autistic and I need some reference books or art lesson ideas that I can do with him. He's very receptive to "song" and loves to "marker-up" the white board with Crayola window markers that I've set up for him. Any ideas would be most helpful. It's been a long time since I taught special needs children.
        Marty Reid

      • Paige Bacon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2009

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2009

            Some ideas for your 2 1/2 old grandson from my website, http://www.brightring.com (Go to "Free Activities"):

            Scribble Dabble - from Primary Art

            Pre-Step: For budding artists

            Preliminary Art Experience: Scribble Dabble

            Primary Art Experience: Peel Away Tape Design

            1. Pre-Step - For budding artists:

            Peel masking tape from a roll and tear off.

            Stick to paper.

            Materials:

            masking tape
            choice of construction paper (any color, including white)

            2. Preliminary Art Experience - Scribble Dabble:

            Stick masking tape in a design on paper, and scribble over the paper and tape with crayons or markers. When finished, remove the tape to see the remaining design!

            Materials:

            masking tape
            choice of construction paper (any color, including white)
            crayons or colored markers

            Process:

            1. Stick strips of masking tape to a sheet of construction paper in any design. Stick the tape lightly instead of pressing hard to make it easier to remove the tape in step four.

            2. Scribble vigorously over the entire paper and tape, changing colors frequently.

            3. When the paper is filled with color, carefully and slowly peel the masking tape away revealing the remaining design.

            3. Primary Art Experience - Peel Away Tape Design:

            Stick masking tape on a piece of mat board, embellish the open spaces with color, and then peel away the tape for a final design.

            Materials:

            square of white mat board
            masking tape (blue painter’s masking tape works best)
            crayon, paint, colored marking pens
            scissors

            Process:

            1. Stick strips of masking tape to a square of mat board in an intentional, planned design. Employ features of design by crossing the tape over itself, overlapping strips, and tearing off small pieces to stick to the mat design. It is important to plan to leave areas of white mat board showing between tape pieces.

            2. Color the spaces left between the tape-lines with crayon, paint, or colored markers. The colors may be solid, or patterns and designs may be drawn to fill in the spaces.

            3. Carefully and slowly peel away the tape to see the stencil effect remaining on the mat board. (Tape may be left on the work instead, if preferred.)

            Other tape and stencil ideas:

            • Spray the masking tape design with thinned tempera paint or liquid watercolor paint. Then remove the making tape.
            • Create with contact paper instead of tape. Peel away after coloring the spaces and areas outside the contact paper.
            • Tape designs on a blank t-shirt. Color in the open spaces with fabric marker. Then peel off the tape.

            Dark Sugar Chalk - from Preschool Art

            Preschool Art, by MaryAnn Kohl offers over 200 process-oriented preschool activities for children ages 3-6 years.

            Materials:

            • colored chalk
            • black paper or matte board
            • 1/3 cup (70g) sugar dissolved in 1 cup (230 ml) water
            • cotton balls, optional

            Art Process:

            1. Soak the chalk sticks in the cup of sugar water for five to ten minutes. This adds brilliance to the color and helps resists smudging.
            2. Draw on the black paper with the sugar chalk. Lines can be bold and bright or light and blurry.
            3. Brush chalk marks with cotton balls as an optional art technique.

            Variations:

            • Make a spooky fall drawing. The black background will make the colors seem to glow.
            • Use other colors and different textures of paper.
            • Paint the paper with a mixture of canned milk and liquid starch. Draw on the wet paper for a sparkling effect.

            Hint: Chalk is inherently smudgy, but the sugar-water mixture will help reduce smudging.

            copyright © 2006 MaryAnn Kohl

            Blottos - from Scribble Art

            By placing paint between sheets of paper and then folding them together, colors mix and form strange and interesting shapes. Shapes often resemble butterflies because of the symmetry, but a butterfly shape need not be the goal. Enjoy the surprise of color and design.

            Materials:

            tempera paints in cups
            spoon or paintbrush for each cup
            large sheet of butcher paper, or any paper

            Process:

            1. Fold the paper in half. Open it.
            2. Drop a blob of paint (or several blobs of one or many colors) on the fold.
            3. Press the paper together and pat.
            4. Open once again to see the blotto made from the paint pressed inside.

            Variation

            Cut out the dry blotto shape and glue it to a striking background such as purple, black, or yellow.

            copyright © 2007 MaryAnn Kohl

            Textured Table - from Preschool Art

            Materials:

            table
            large sheet of butcher paper in any light color
            peeled jumbo crayon
            items to provide textures, such as yarn, sandpaper, paper shapes, fabric scraps, coins, confetti, glitter, or paper clips
            masking tape

            Art Process:

            1. Spread a variety of the texture items all around the surface of a table. These items should be fairly flat and not too pointy or sharp.

            2. Place a large sheet of butcher paper over the table like a table cloth. Tape the corners and sides of the paper to the table to prevent slipping.

            3. Rub the jumbo peeled crayons on their sides back and forth all over the butcher paper. Many surprise textures will appear.

            4. Feel the top ot the paper with hands to be sure all the textures have been rubbed with crayon.

            5. Leave the textured design on the table for a fancy table covering or remove it for a wall decoration, wrapping paper or other decorative use.

            Variations:

            • Make small rubbings on a tray with one sheet of paper. It's fun to hide items under the paper and have a friend do the rubbing to discover what is hidden beneath the paper.

            copyright © 2005 MaryAnn Kohl