Re: teaching students to sew-handout

  • linda
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2009
      I teach third graders to sew felt stuffed animals. They design their own patterns, cut them out, and embroider them with a variety of stitches, including back stitch, chain stitch, blanket stitch, french knots, satin stitch, whip stitch, sewing on buttons, and adding piping if they want with couching. They do not all do all of these stitches, rather, they choose the variety of stitches they want to tus. ALl close with blanket stitch. I have been doing this annually for over 10 years. I have parents n the room for about 7 weeks, but they come in after patterns are designed (first week of double periods), and cut out (second week of double periods.) After that, we spend about 7 more weeks of class time emboirdering on them. I have a handout for embroidery stitches. I use an Elmo (live document camera) to sew under when teaching them. They can watch me sew on my whiteboard from their desks. That is MAJOR in this project. Each week I do a QUICK review of all stitches, but not all stitches are introduced at once. In addition to that, children begin taking them home to work on in baggies beginning about 3-4 weeks after stitching in class has begun. They can take them home if they have really detailed ideas or if they fall behind. I never have trouble getting parents to sign up for this. They love it. The kids love it. I love it. But without parents helping I would be crazy to do this. Parents are told they can NOT sew FOR the children. They demonstrate on samplers for them to help them. Parents do not all need to be sewers to help. They can learn right along with the kids. I don't know when your school year ends, but you need a pretty good chunk of time for sewing sock dolls, too, I would think. I would love to see your results. I'll post some photos of my project here soon on files for sharing. I have seen the sock doll book that someone else mentioned, and it is adorable. I think you would definitely want a copy of the book. GOod luck! Sewing is fun.
      LInda