Re: Troubles with new AR Frameworks for Art...

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2009
      > VA.5.3.1 - Describe ways line combinations are used to communicate (e.g., line variations as in thick, thin, dashed, broken, rough, and smooth.)
      > Could someone remind me what these variations are supposed to communicate?
      I read this as line quality. The most clear example being in college we had to draw a line that would communicate a single emotion- fear, sleepiness, hate, spontaneity, etc. It was hard, but it was also amazing to see a line run across a page and know the emotion the artist was trying to communicate. With my students, I use a combination of pen and ink in wells and bamboo brushes. The two together, with fine detailed lines and thick bold line, work to create lines that communicate different qualities. The hammer is bold & heavy, while the dove statue is light & airy. You can also use different kinds of mediums, like crayons, regular pen, & pencil which is light, and also encourage them to use different kinds of lines, thick, think, dashed, for light and airy.
      You can also go with all curved lines verses all straight lines. I had my elementary students do a drawing using nothing but straight lines. They were great! Then they had to pick an object on the table to draw as only straight lined and another to draw with no straight lines, only sweeping curve lines. It definitely communicated something different about the objects. I do think this was their favorite drawing exercise of the year.

      > VA.5.3.2 - Describe ways shape combinations are used to communicate (e.g., multiple shapes used in drawing complex objects.)
      > Does this just mean that you can use the simple shapes to help create an image of something more complex?
      Hmm.. I have to go with your example here. Perhaps they are also talking about the size of the shape? The way shapes are smaller and lighter in the background and bolder and bigger up front. How shapes communicate distance.
      For your grade levels, I might combine this lesson with Egyptian wall painting review. The Egyptians used Hierarchical perspective- the most important character was the biggest and the the least important character was the smallest. Actually, kids do this naturally so it's not a stretch for them to understand or do well. Then the shape sizes would communicate importance.

      > Jocelyn
      > Elementary Art 1-4
      > Crossett, Arkansas

      Regards,