Re:Art and Poetry Plans?

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 2.8 MB
    I would like to share with the group this lovely Power point combination of art & music.
    I have watched it so many times...its just amazing.
    Kamla
    Chennai,India

  • aliteachesart
    Message 2 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
      Hi Cescely and all,

      Here is a great diamante poem generator:
      http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/diamante/

      Ali
    • Brandy
      Message 3 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
        I did a large black and white drawing (I used conte crayon) of an up close object and put the poem I was illustrating on the outside of the drawing like a border. I was careful to space my words so the entire poem fit perfectly around the drawing like a boarder. The picture I did was the backside of a fly, and it illustrated Emily Dickinson's poem, "I heard a fly buzz..".
        When I had my artists try it, I had them practice by drawing a piece of popcorn as large as their page. Then they choose one noun in a poem they liked and drew it super large. I didn't control whether it was stylized or not, just the size of the art. Some poems were hykus and were written a couple of times around the edge of the drawing. Some of the artists especially enjoyed the challenge of incorporating words as art to a piece. We talked about the emotional qualities of font. Probably because of these discussions, I thought they were thinking about something old in a new way.
        I wish I had a photos of this project, but my computer died :( and I have yet to be able to retrieve the info on the harddrive. Wish me luck! (And take this moment to back up your files.)
        Regards,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "cescelyhill" <cescely.hill@...> wrote:

        > Hi Art Educators,
        >
        > I am looking for lessons that combine art and poetry. Any ideas?
        >
        > Also, please check out the file I uploaded this morning to the Files/Sharing folder. It features descriptions and links to great arts/music resources online.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Cescely Hill

      • Becky Hopkins
        Message 4 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
          This isn't poetry, but could work.  I have had great success in using text as value.  I had students draw a high-contrast image of themselves and fill in the values with text that represented who they are in a less superficial way than how they look.  You could use the text of the poetry to fill in the value instead of just random phrases or adjectives.  It works best if you take a close-up shot of the student, alter it in Photoshop (grey scale then posterize to a minimum of 4).  You can use other images (flowers, insects, whatever...) and do a similar image alteration, having the students draw the image larger and use the text as value.
          The students love these drawings.  I amy have to use the idea of linking poetry to it next time I use it.
          You can check out their work at mjhsartrats(dot)blogspot(dot)com

          *I tried to imbed an image here, but failed.  So I hope that the link is useful.

          Becky Hopkins
          Art Teacher
          Marion Junior High School

        • Kerri Gordon
          Message 5 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
            I had my students do "typography" art with poetry... For example, a student did a composition of a rose, and "colored" the whole rose using the words from the poem to fill in her composition...

            Kerri Gordon
            Art Teacher
            Northwood School
            Minong, WI
            54859
            715-466-2297

            "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
            -Basquiat

            I did a large black and white drawing (I used conte crayon) of an up close object and put the poem I was illustrating on the outside of the drawing like a border. I was careful to space my words so the entire poem fit perfectly around the drawing like a boarder. The picture I did was the backside of a fly, and it illustrated Emily Dickinson's poem, "I heard a fly buzz..".
            When I had my artists try it, I had them practice by drawing a piece of popcorn as large as their page. Then they choose one noun in a poem they liked and drew it super large. I didn't control whether it was stylized or not, just the size of the art. Some poems were hykus and were written a couple of times around the edge of the drawing. Some of the artists especially enjoyed the challenge of incorporating words as art to a piece. We talked about the emotional qualities of font. Probably because of these discussions, I thought they were thinking about something old in a new way.
            I wish I had a photos of this project, but my computer died :( and I have yet to be able to retrieve the info on the harddrive. Wish me luck! (And take this moment to back up your files.)
            Regards,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "cescelyhill" <cescely.hill@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi Art Educators,
            >
            > I am looking for lessons that combine art and poetry. Any ideas?
            >
            > Also, please check out the file I uploaded this morning to the Files/Sharing folder. It features descriptions and links to great arts/music resources online.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Cescely Hill

          • Sarah Palmer
            Message 6 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
              These are really cool!  My 8th graders do a high contrast and values self portrait project each fall.  I'm going to do this one next school year.  They'll love it!  Thanks for the great idea.

              Another idea, not related to poetry but more of the value-study and photography-based portrait idea, is scratch art; high-contrast, with light and dark areas removed at various percentages (10% - 90%, students make a reference chart first on a strip of scratch art board) using various textures.  I'll work on posting some images.  Very graphic, visually exciting, can be easily tied into a lesson on Andy Warhol.

              Sarah in rainy town

              Message 7 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                Thank you SEAUX much for sharing your work(s)!  I checked out your Blogspot and signed up to follow your feed.

                Ironically, I was asked to be an Art Teacher for summer classes through SPAR (Shreveport Public Assembly and Recreation).  These are community centers throughout the inner-city.  I will be giving instruction in photograpy.  Do you have a lesson plan for this project and/or any other photography projects for a wide variety of children in both education and age levels?

                Sincerely,
                DeAnna Michelle

                "Be who you are and be that well."
                - Saint Francis de Sales -

                Message 8 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                  I will dig it out... I believe that I saved it on my computer at home.  I'll get it to you as soon as I can.

                  Becky Hopkins
                  Art Teacher
                  Marion Junior High School

                • De Anna Michelle