Re: movies

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi Terri,

      My elementary kids were really engaged by the Mike Venizia Getting to Know World Famous Artists Series. The Warhol one is really excellent. I don't know if older students would be put off by the cartoon quality, but I enjoy it (even after watching it 6 times in a row). The dropping in on series are boring I think, but the kids seem to enjoy them too. I always do a simple worksheet when I show a video (1 per year usually). ALi k-4 NNY
    • The Prior House
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
        Re:movies There is a cool show called “That’s Clever” on HGTV and some of their episodes are great to share with students.

        That's Clever! is a half-hour series that highlights the contemporary crafting scene from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon.

        In each episode, the show will travel around the country and visit three different crafters in their own homes who will take us inspirationally through their particular craft.

        You'll be inspired to try that individual's particular craft and learn a little about the personal side of the crafter.”

        Not sure of the copyrights, but I think they have you tube vids and isn’t that open to all?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Txu3NCDkM

        http://www.hgtv.com/thats-clever/show/index.html

        movies
        Posted by: "boots13@..." boots13@...  terri.frohman
        Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:23 pm (PDT)

        Hey all, I am sure we have discussed this at a previous time,
        but I am looking to purchase some new movies related to art.
        Any suggestions?

        thanks
        terri
        NYC
      • Amber Stephens
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
          If you have netflix they have a whole slew of artist series movies.

          Amber

        • Denise Pannell
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
            My first graders love "Linnea In Monet's Garden" and it is very reasonably priced. I think it is appropriate for lower elementary.

            Denise Pannell

            > Hey all, I am sure we have discussed this at a previous time, but
            > I am looking to purchase some new movies related to art. Any
            > suggestions? thanks terri NYC
          • Julie Casebourn
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
              Terri,
                  What grade levels are you looking to show them to?  Are you wanting full length movies about artists and art movements or advice on art educational videos featuring a concept(s)?

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                Here's another one to check out- teachwithmovies.org I check this site out and then look them up on Netflix, which is less expensive, but doesn't come with teacher's guide. I have to admit to not finding many teacher's manuals extremely useful so this isn't a huge draw to me for pay them for the movie. You might be able to get your school to buy a subscription though, and then everyone in the school could use it.
                I checked out a super impressionism movie the other day on Netflix for my kids to watch, aptly called "The impressionists". They loved it, and my ds is 9.
                http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Impressionists_Disc_2/70057721?trkid=226871
                Good Luck,
                Brandy

              • boots13@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                  I teach 6,7,8. So either movies related to art, or regular movies that have art references.

                  thanks for all the great suggestions!
                  terri

                  New Deals on Dell Netbooks - Now starting at $299
                • pent19
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                    Netflix also has a watch instantly feature that allows you to play some movies right from your computer. the selection is getting better and new movies are added all the time. You can fast forward through the movies to watch just parts and you don't have to wait for them to come in the mail.
                    Michele

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

                    > Here's another one to check out- teachwithmovies.org I check this site out and then look them up on Netflix, which is less expensive, but doesn't come with teacher's guide. I have to admit to not finding many teacher's manuals extremely useful so this isn't a huge draw to me for pay them for the movie. You might be able to get your school to buy a subscription though, and then everyone in the school could use it.
                    > I checked out a super impressionism movie the other day on Netflix for my kids to watch, aptly called "The impressionists". They loved it, and my ds is 9.
                    > http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Impressionists_Disc_2/70057721?trkid=226871
                    > Good Luck,
                    > Brandy
                    >

                    > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sara" <sarawren@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > PETER HERE IS A SITE that may be of interest.
                    > >

                    > > Top 100 Movies
                    > >

                    > > They have an education section.
                    > >

                    > > http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx
                    > >

                    > > Sara

                  • Becky Hopkins
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 9, 2009
                      I like the "Who  is the Artist?" series.  It introduces a movement, shows examples of three artists and compares/contrasts their styles.  Then they show examples and ask "Who is the artist?"  The kids get pretty invovled.  I have shown these videos to 6-9 grade, both on the border of Mexico in Arizona (where the majority of my students were LEP) as well as right outside of Memphis, TN.  Both groups (a fairly wide range!) have responded well to the videos.

                      Becky Hopkins
                      Art Teacher
                      Marion Junior High School