Re: use of plastic bags in art projects

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Penny,
      We used them to stuff scarecrows and create the head (they drew faces
      with permanent marker before stuffing). This used tons of bags.
      http://staff.potsdam.k12.ny.us/~abenton/Site/Art_Clubs.html
      Ali
    • jocarthew
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
        I am about to start an art project with my local school using plastic bags and sweet wrappers to make a rag rug/wallhanging. You need hessian and the right tools either a hook or a prodder to hook strips or prod lengths into the hessian.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pennylee53" <penny_lee53@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone ever incorporated plastic bags (the kind that grocery
        > stores use) in their Kinder - 8th grade Art projects? I used cut up
        > bags for stuffing several cut-out coloring sheet Christmas items to
        > create a three dimensional idea but haven't come up with any other
        > ideas for them. I've got a zillion of them, as everyone else does,
        > and absolutely hate to just toss them but I can only use so many for
        > their intended use; any ideas???

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2009
          If you still can't find a good art use for your zillion bags, thrift stores will take them and use them. That's where a bulk of my bags used to go before we started using tote bags, which is a great art project for kids as well, tote bags: making them, painting them, weaving into them( if you use burlap of hessian), or screen printing on them, as my kids just did. What a great project for 4th grade and up!
          If you have that many bags, try get some totes. Maybe hand decorated by your students! It's a wonderful Earth day fundraiser to sell bags either with an Earth day message, or ones that the kids decorated and then others in the community (parents, grandparents, and teachers mostly) buy for $2. Half the money is paid back for making the project, and then there's a $1 a bag for whatever charity- including art class perhaps- that the money goes towards. April's far enough way to plan for this kinda thing :)
          REgards,
          Brandy