use of plastic bags in art projects

  • pennylee53
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      Has anyone ever incorporated plastic bags (the kind that grocery
      stores use) in their Kinder - 8th grade Art projects? I used cut up
      bags for stuffing several cut-out coloring sheet Christmas items to
      create a three dimensional idea but haven't come up with any other
      ideas for them. I've got a zillion of them, as everyone else does,
      and absolutely hate to just toss them but I can only use so many for
      their intended use; any ideas???
    • Heather Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
        I have cut them into strips and incorporated them into a recycled weaving for my first graders. I also use them to wrap individual wet clay projects every year.

        Heather

        On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM, pennylee53 <penny_lee53@...> wrote:

        Has anyone ever incorporated plastic bags (the kind that grocery
        stores use) in their Kinder - 8th grade Art projects? I used cut up
        bags for stuffing several cut-out coloring sheet Christmas items to
        create a three dimensional idea but haven't come up with any other
        ideas for them. I've got a zillion of them, as everyone else does,
        and absolutely hate to just toss them but I can only use so many for
        their intended use; any ideas???

      • Suzette Milam-Morrow
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009

          Google fusing plastic bags.

          This is a hot new trend that was also featured in Jan-Feb issue of Cloth, Paper Scissors magazine.

          Here is a link to an etsy lab tutorial on it:

          http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html

          I have fused with high school kids.  But, you would probably be better off fusing the bags and then having the students create with the fused pieces in elementary school. We made plastic (instead of paper) dolls. Colorful plastic bags make great dress designs. High school kids made recycled bags for a fundraiser. I will post a picture in the photo file of the fused plastic before it was sewn into a bag. I loved the collage fusing that the student did with all the text.

          _,_._,___

        • aliteachesart
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hi Penny,
            We used them to stuff scarecrows and create the head (they drew faces
            with permanent marker before stuffing). This used tons of bags.
            http://staff.potsdam.k12.ny.us/~abenton/Site/Art_Clubs.html
            Ali
          • jocarthew
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
              I am about to start an art project with my local school using plastic bags and sweet wrappers to make a rag rug/wallhanging. You need hessian and the right tools either a hook or a prodder to hook strips or prod lengths into the hessian.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pennylee53" <penny_lee53@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone ever incorporated plastic bags (the kind that grocery
              > stores use) in their Kinder - 8th grade Art projects? I used cut up
              > bags for stuffing several cut-out coloring sheet Christmas items to
              > create a three dimensional idea but haven't come up with any other
              > ideas for them. I've got a zillion of them, as everyone else does,
              > and absolutely hate to just toss them but I can only use so many for
              > their intended use; any ideas???

            • Brandy
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2009
                If you still can't find a good art use for your zillion bags, thrift stores will take them and use them. That's where a bulk of my bags used to go before we started using tote bags, which is a great art project for kids as well, tote bags: making them, painting them, weaving into them( if you use burlap of hessian), or screen printing on them, as my kids just did. What a great project for 4th grade and up!
                If you have that many bags, try get some totes. Maybe hand decorated by your students! It's a wonderful Earth day fundraiser to sell bags either with an Earth day message, or ones that the kids decorated and then others in the community (parents, grandparents, and teachers mostly) buy for $2. Half the money is paid back for making the project, and then there's a $1 a bag for whatever charity- including art class perhaps- that the money goes towards. April's far enough way to plan for this kinda thing :)
                REgards,
                Brandy