Ceramic Glazing question...

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello for all of you following the ongoing saga of the "Raven Tile B
      ench" for our schools auction.....
      We got the ceramics tiles (2 1/4") glazed with our Raven design on
      them and are now ready to fire them.
      Oddly enough, turns out we have a kiln at our school...in the
      custodian's workroom. I just happened to be walking by one day and
      saw it there. He seemed to be mystified as to it's existence as well
      but gave me the go ahead to use it. Yee Haw! Now I don't have to pay
      to have them fired, and the fact that we have it opens up lots of
      possibilities for clay projects for the kids. I CANNOT believe no one
      has ever mentioned this to me. Strange....
      Anyhoo, It is rather old, the kiln that is, and they couldn't find
      the manual for it so I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me
      one. We have all the "stuff" needed, including cones, shelves, etc. I
      will go in this week and vacuum it out as it is a little dusty. He
      (the custodian) said the 6th grade teachers used it last year for a
      camp project, so know it is in working order. I checked the kiln
      sitter and seems to work.
      My question, finally, is: how long after the tiles are glazed, do I
      wait to do the firing? Would a couple of days suffice? There is cone
      6 glaze and clear coat on the tiles. Thanks for your help. I will
      post new pics on my webpage. Check it out if you have time:
      flickr.com/photos/shellysart and click on the set for the Ridgewood
      Bench project.

      Thanks for your help!

      Shelly
    • Jessica
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hi Shelly,

        You can fire the tiles as soon as the glaze is dry (so depending on
        how thick it is... an hour after glazing). If the tiles haven't been
        bisqued, you'll have to wait until the clay is dry, which can take a
        day or two..

        Jessica

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...> wrote:

        > Hello for all of you following the ongoing saga of the "Raven Tile B
        > ench" for our schools auction.....
        > We got the ceramics tiles (2 1/4") glazed with our Raven design on
        > them and are now ready to fire them.
        > Oddly enough, turns out we have a kiln at our school...in the
        > custodian's workroom. I just happened to be walking by one day and
        > saw it there. He seemed to be mystified as to it's existence as well
        > but gave me the go ahead to use it. Yee Haw! Now I don't have to pay
        > to have them fired, and the fact that we have it opens up lots of
        > possibilities for clay projects for the kids. I CANNOT believe no one
        > has ever mentioned this to me. Strange....
        > Anyhoo, It is rather old, the kiln that is, and they couldn't find
        > the manual for it so I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me
        > one. We have all the "stuff" needed, including cones, shelves, etc. I
        > will go in this week and vacuum it out as it is a little dusty. He
        > (the custodian) said the 6th grade teachers used it last year for a
        > camp project, so know it is in working order. I checked the kiln
        > sitter and seems to work.
        > My question, finally, is: how long after the tiles are glazed, do I
        > wait to do the firing? Would a couple of days suffice? There is cone
        > 6 glaze and clear coat on the tiles. Thanks for your help. I will
        > post new pics on my webpage. Check it out if you have time:
        > flickr.com/photos/shellysart and click on the set for the Ridgewood
        > Bench project.
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        >
        > Shelly

      • jjbellava
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 6:13 PM
          Hi Shelly,
          I'm new to all of this and wonder where you
          took the clay to be fired and how much it cost?

          Also, what type of clay would be best for pinch
          pots and coil pots for a first time project?
          And where is the best place to purchase the clay?

          thanks!
          Juanita

          Yee Haw! Now I don't have to pay