Re: [art_education] radial symmetry questions

  • David Exner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      If the circle is evenly divided and you flip the design from side "A" to side "B" as you go around the circle you'll end up with a kaleidoscopic design or pattern.  I find that six repetitions gives very interesting groupings because the pattern gets triangulated in the process.

      Peace,
      David Exner

      We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

      David G. Exner
      Art Teacher & Art Club Co-Adviser
      Community High School,District 94
      WestChicago
      (630)876-6407

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009

        Thanks.  I, too, prefer the flipped kaleidoscopic designs.  They are much more interesting.

        Thanks to all who responded.

        Jan in Tampa

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
          That is called reflection. It is like the reflected symmetry that is see when you look in a kaleidoscope.
          If you would like to take a look at some of my student work using radial symmetry in the creation of mandala designs I have included my web page at my school.

          Diane Rowen Garmire
          Visual Art Teacher/ Teacher of Gifted and Talented

          (to visit Diane's web page: Spokaneschools.org
          go to Visit our Schools, go to Elementary schools
          go to Libby Center, go to Staff Information
          then scroll to Diane Garmire and click on web page)

          Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.