Re: [art_education] radial symmetry questions

  • KATHY TROTT
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      reflection

      Kathy Trott
      NBCT '04
      Visual Art Teacher
      Septima P. Clark Corporate Academy
      1929 Grimball Road
      Charleston, SC 29412
      Telephone: (843) 762-6217
      Fax: (843) 762-6218
      www.ccsdschools.com

      Excellence is our Standard

      >>> "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> 2/3/2009 11:44 AM >>>
      Hi Everyone,

      I have a question about radial symmetry.

      When doing a project, a circle is divided into a certain number of
      evenly spaced sections, radiating out from the center.

      Then you can do a drawing in one section and repeat going around,
      especially if the design INSIDE the section is also symmetrical.

      But here's my question, If you create an assymetrical section, you have
      a choice of repeating all the way around or flipping back and forth
      going around.

      So what are those types of radial symmetry called?

      Jan in Tampa

      Gr 1-5
    • David Exner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
        If the circle is evenly divided and you flip the design from side "A" to side "B" as you go around the circle you'll end up with a kaleidoscopic design or pattern.  I find that six repetitions gives very interesting groupings because the pattern gets triangulated in the process.

        Peace,
        David Exner

        We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

        David G. Exner
        Art Teacher & Art Club Co-Adviser
        Community High School,District 94
        WestChicago
        (630)876-6407

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009

          Thanks.  I, too, prefer the flipped kaleidoscopic designs.  They are much more interesting.

          Thanks to all who responded.

          Jan in Tampa

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
            That is called reflection. It is like the reflected symmetry that is see when you look in a kaleidoscope.
            If you would like to take a look at some of my student work using radial symmetry in the creation of mandala designs I have included my web page at my school.

            Diane Rowen Garmire
            Visual Art Teacher/ Teacher of Gifted and Talented

            (to visit Diane's web page: Spokaneschools.org
            go to Visit our Schools, go to Elementary schools
            go to Libby Center, go to Staff Information
            then scroll to Diane Garmire and click on web page)

            Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.