radial symmetry questions

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009

      Hi Everyone,

      I have a question about radial symmetry.

      When doing a project, a circle is divided into a certain number of evenly spaced sections, radiating out from the center.

      Then you can do a drawing in one section and repeat going around, especially if the design INSIDE the section is also symmetrical.

      But here’s my question, If you create an assymetrical section, you have a choice of repeating all the way  around or flipping back and forth going around.

      So what are those types of radial symmetry called?

      Jan in Tampa

      Gr 1-5

    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009

        It took some creative googling to find the answer.    At first I couldn’t find what I was seeking.

        The answer can be found here    http://pluto.huji.ac.il/~msdanet/cyberpl@y/chapter6b.html

        The asymmetrical section that is simply repeated around is called “translation” or “glide” symmetry.

        The asymmetrical section that is flipped is called “bilateral” or “reflection” or “mirror” symmetry.

        More types of symmetry are mentioned, but these are the ones I was wondering about.

        Thanks for thinking with me.

        Jan in Tampa

        ++++++++++++++++++++

        But here’s my question, If you create an assymetrical section, you have a choice of repeating all the way  around or flipping back and forth going around.

        So what are those types of radial symmetry called?

        Jan in Tampa

        Gr 1-5

      • KATHY TROTT
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
          reflection

          Kathy Trott
          NBCT '04
          Visual Art Teacher
          Septima P. Clark Corporate Academy
          1929 Grimball Road
          Charleston, SC 29412
          Telephone: (843) 762-6217
          Fax: (843) 762-6218
          www.ccsdschools.com

          Excellence is our Standard

          >>> "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> 2/3/2009 11:44 AM >>>
          Hi Everyone,

          I have a question about radial symmetry.

          When doing a project, a circle is divided into a certain number of
          evenly spaced sections, radiating out from the center.

          Then you can do a drawing in one section and repeat going around,
          especially if the design INSIDE the section is also symmetrical.

          But here's my question, If you create an assymetrical section, you have
          a choice of repeating all the way around or flipping back and forth
          going around.

          So what are those types of radial symmetry called?

          Jan in Tampa

          Gr 1-5
        • David Exner
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
            If the circle is evenly divided and you flip the design from side "A" to side "B" as you go around the circle you'll end up with a kaleidoscopic design or pattern.  I find that six repetitions gives very interesting groupings because the pattern gets triangulated in the process.

            Peace,
            David Exner

            We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

            David G. Exner
            Art Teacher & Art Club Co-Adviser
            Community High School,District 94
            WestChicago
            (630)876-6407

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009

              Thanks.  I, too, prefer the flipped kaleidoscopic designs.  They are much more interesting.

              Thanks to all who responded.

              Jan in Tampa

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
                That is called reflection. It is like the reflected symmetry that is see when you look in a kaleidoscope.
                If you would like to take a look at some of my student work using radial symmetry in the creation of mandala designs I have included my web page at my school.

                Diane Rowen Garmire
                Visual Art Teacher/ Teacher of Gifted and Talented

                (to visit Diane's web page: Spokaneschools.org
                go to Visit our Schools, go to Elementary schools
                go to Libby Center, go to Staff Information
                then scroll to Diane Garmire and click on web page)

                Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.