The continuing saga of the Raven Mosaic...

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hello again,

      Well, I am somewhat at my wit's end and this project hasn't even
      started. I have to say that with each new obstacle, I become more
      determined to do this blasted thing.

      So, I am back to ask for more help. I have gotten as far as designing
      the drawing, but now am trying to purchase the tiles to start
      laying them out. I want to have that part done and then the kids can
      just apply adhesive and put them where they go. Kind of like a paint
      by number, only with tiles.

      Well, at first I thought I would do ceramic, but am having a hard
      time finding a supplier that sells them. At least not in very many
      colors. Seems most places are focused on the glass tiles. So, I
      figured, what the heck. The kids will be wearing heavy duty gloves
      and I will do any required cutting. So, then I started looking for
      3/8" glass tiles in the chosen colors of the Raven (it is black and
      red) that the school's mascot is portrayed in. Well, no one seems to
      have black................

      I can get them bigger, but not 3/8". I have even tried to call some
      of the mosaic tile suppliers and they will not return my calls.
      Hence my question.....does anyone know where to get them? I also
      would need all the other things like weldbond, fiberglass mesh and
      glass cutters etc. So would be happy to get them all at the same
      place and be done with it. I will get the grout at a local building
      supply store when we get to that part.

      For the rest of the background tiles, I am open to using larger
      sizes, like 1/2" or even 3/4". It is just that the Raven himself is
      somewhat detailed and I want to avoid having to cut all the pieces
      for him.

      If anyone is a tile dealer or knows of one that they have dealt with
      that would be willing to help me on this, I would really appreciate
      it!

      Thanks,

      Shelly

      P.S. I wanted to share the design with you all, but not really sure
      how
      to do that....any suggestions?
    • Sarah Palmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        Shelly:

        I think you're in Seattle right?

        Art Tile on Roosevelt in the Maple Leaf neighborhood has every color of the small glass tiles, including black.  They have cutters and adhesives too. I don't think you'll need any mesh, you should be able to glue directly onto your chosen surface.  Art Tile also has regular ceramic tile in every color.  Helpful staff can direct you to what you need.

        Good luck!

        Sarah in Seattle

        To: art_education@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Thank you so much. I will go and check it out today!

          Shelly-