The Art of African Exploration - Smithsonian Library presentation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2009
      Dear Art Educators,

      Some of you may find this on-line presentation from Smithsonian
      Library interesting.
      The Art of African Exploration:
      http://www.sil.si.edu/Exhibitions/ArtofAfricanExploration/index.cfm

      Comparisons of the rhinoceros drawings are interesting. While the
      Albrecht Durer drawing is probably the most familiar to you, they do
      show a similar drawing from another engraver.

      From the site home page:

      The lure of the unknown has always inspired travel. Early maps of
      Africa show vast expanses of uncharted territory. Before the 1800s,
      little was known about the interior of the continent, its geography,
      plants, animals, and peoples. As advances in medicine and technology
      made longer journeys possible, the zeal for African exploration
      peaked. A host of European travelers, driven by scientific curiosity,
      the desire for conquest or profit, missionary fervor or a thirst for
      adventure, explored the continent. Africa became a magnet for
      adventurers and scientists, opportunists and humanitarians. By the
      late 1800s, much of Africa had been mapped, giving European nations a
      foothold for imperialism, while uncovering a world largely unknown to
      science.

      The compelling images that emerged from this time tell the story of
      Africa as it was first seen by Western eyes, and the impact it had on
      a fascinated public.

      Check the following sections:

      An Imperfectly Known Land

      Science and the Cape of Good Hope

      Extraordinary Beasts:
      The Rhinoceros
      The Quagga
      The Giraffe

      Stanley & Livingstone

      The Smoke that Thunders: Victoria Falls

      This site was featured in Scout Report (January 16, 09). I checked my
      Inbox the other day. I have over 70 Scout Reports saved that I haven't
      posted about. A Getty list member turned me on to Scout Reports back
      in 1999. I have been checking them ever since (smile).

      More Scout Reports:
      http://scout.wisc.edu/

      Getty folks, please remove my email address if you post a reply to this message.